Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gen

Gen Report 1 Sep 2003 00:14

My great grandmother Margaret Wright {nee Dinsdale} was born, according to the 1901 census, in Manchester.I searched BMD and found what I believe is her birth in 1874. But I can find no record of her in the 1881 census. All the Margaret Dinsdales I found came from Liverpool and York. Do you think she was overlooked for some reason or has there been a mistake in the information given or transcribed.

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Sep 2003 03:23

could be that she was away from home and registered elsewhere - will have a look :)

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Sep 2003 04:12

one of the girls in yorkshire was the niece of the family - but it said as well she was yorkshire born. :(

Gary

Gary Report 1 Sep 2003 07:34

In the 1891 census: Living at 30 Wardley Street, in the Parish of St Andrews, Wandsworth, London. Margaret Dinsdale (aged 16) step daughter. Born Manchester. Other Occupants: Charles Forster (aged 38) Cheesemongers Assistant, born Sheerness Kent. Emma Forster (aged 38) General Dealer, born Boughton Notts. Violet Forster (aged 14? difficult to read, born Walworth, London. Percival Forster (aged 2), born Walworth, London. Have not checked 1881, must leave you some pleasures. But if this is her I would expect to find her with the Forster family in London. Good hunting. Gary

Gen

Gen Report 1 Sep 2003 08:48

Thank you so so much for your help, I think the Margaret [niece] was in fact the one I was looking for and her birth place was wrong. I found Emma Forster in the 1881 census as Emma Dinsdale, she was a widow living with her brother in law. Charles Forster had a different wife, Pollie, on the 1881 census, so I guess she must have died. Thank you once again Gary and Sheila, you have made my day.