Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 Deaths......?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beverley

Beverley Report 31 Aug 2003 20:08

I have a great-uncle, Fred Burnell, who was killed in March 1915 in France during WW1. His name and the details of his death are on the CWGC site, however I am unable to find his death registered on the death register on the 1837online site. Could anyone tell me if they actually registered the deaths of soldiers killed abroad in the war?

Cazziemc

Cazziemc Report 31 Aug 2003 20:22

Max, how do you do that? What information do you have to give and to whom? Thanks, Carol.

Keith

Keith Report 31 Aug 2003 20:24

Hi Beverly. Deaths in action in the 1st War are subject to the issue of death certificates as normal. We have one for my wife's Uncle. Try calling GRO Southport who'll advise you

Beverley

Beverley Report 31 Aug 2003 20:27

Excuse my ignorance Max, but where do I get his service details from? Are the National archives on line, is there a web site? Sorry if I'm being a bit dense.....

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 31 Aug 2003 21:01

You would have to go in person to the National Archives at Kew (was the PRO). You could then have a look for your rellies Military Record and discharge papers - the staff at Kew are very helpfull. It helps if you know his regiment. There are also indexes of death registers for Army war dead 1914 to 1921 at the FRC and the PRO.

Keith

Keith Report 1 Sep 2003 21:43

Beverley. His service details are on his gravestone, see CWGC site. He is Pte 8448 Fred Burnell, 2nd Battalion, West Yorskshire Regiment,(Prince of Wales Own). Date of death was 11 March 1915 as I think you know. Hope this is helpful