Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jenna

Jenna Report 31 Aug 2003 18:04

How do I set about finding my birth parents? I know where I was born, but that's about it!

Hilary

Hilary Report 31 Aug 2003 19:15

Jenna, I am in a similar position to you but I have the name of my mother. I will be watching your replies with great interest, as I also have no idea where to start.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 31 Aug 2003 19:35

Hi Jenna, I recently successfully traced both my birth parents. Firstly you need to contact your own local social services department who will then liaise with the social services department who dealt with your adoption. They will also be able to send for your original birth certificate from Southport. If your adoption was pre-1975 they will arrange a counsellor for you to help you through what can be an emotionally traumatic time. Counselling is optional for post-1975 adoptions. If you need any further help, advice or support feel free to email me. I have had a very happy outcome, but not everyone does. Please be sure in your own mind before you start what you want to get from finding your roots, and also consider the impact on your current nearest and dearest, as well as the loved ones of your birth family. Good luck! Liz STS

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 31 Aug 2003 20:02

Hello Familyrecords.gov.uk have some adoption information. you will find helpful. Shirley

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 31 Aug 2003 20:12

Hi again, There are various contact boards which deal with adoption, I found several when I entered "adoption search" into my search engine. There is also the official Adoption Contact Register run by the GRO - see http://www(.)statistics(.)gov(.)uk/registration/Adoptions/AdoptionContactRegister(.)asp (removing brackets) where you can leave your details in case your birth family are trying to find you. Regards, Liz STS