Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Im at the brick wall!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Donna

Donna Report 31 Aug 2003 17:17

I have been trying fo rmonths to get my gt grandfathers birth certificate. You guys helped me to verifiy his year of birth so now Im hoping you can help me again. The GRO cannot find his birth certificate, and you know how it is you need to see it black and white. How else can I get either the certificate or some sort of registration so I dont end up down the wrong path. Any tips on this one would be great. Thank you - Donna

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 31 Aug 2003 17:27

Hello Donna I have had the same problem with my grandfather it could not be found. I called at the library and looked on film a year before and a year after and yes there it was 1877 and not 1876. The GRO Southport said the charge was £11.00 for a search so I did it myself. Shirley

Donna

Donna Report 31 Aug 2003 17:30

The GRO state that they searched between 1855 and 1857, I have him down as born in 1856, thsi only cost £4.50, but they didnt find him!

David_Vickers

David_Vickers Report 31 Aug 2003 17:37

Donna Although it may cost a bit, it may be worth doing the searches yourself on 1837 Online. I'd also be inclined to extend the search beyond 1857. I have a couple of ancestors whose births were registered well over a year after the event! Have you also checked the 1861, 1871 and 1881 censuses to see if ages are consistently ten years apart? Best of luck with your searches and don't despair. I'm sure you will find your gt grandfather in the end - probably when you are least expecting it! David

Donna

Donna Report 31 Aug 2003 17:41

Also done that but the pages for those years and names are illegible. Any other ideas......

David_Vickers

David_Vickers Report 31 Aug 2003 17:59

Donna That really is bad luck! I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I'll get back to you if something springs to mind. David

Donna

Donna Report 31 Aug 2003 18:54

Yes I have tried HALS, he was I belive born in Shenley Hertfordshire, HALS (Herts Archives) couldnt find him either!

Maxine

Maxine Report 31 Aug 2003 19:26

Hi Donna I have exactly the same problem with one of my rellies. It is as though he was never born! I have managed to find a marriage reference on 1837 for him (His name is fairly uncommon - and as I havn't found him on any census or parish records it's quite likely its his!), so I am sending for the marriage cert to see if I can get anywhere with that. Regards Maxine

Donna

Donna Report 31 Aug 2003 19:38

I have his marriage certificate, cannot find his death anywhere but I know it was after 1905 and before 1932, and as for his birth, well I think I have got everyone stumped now! Unfortunately without the birth verified I realy cannot go any further and this is my line.......... Any more ideas anyone?????

Maxine

Maxine Report 31 Aug 2003 19:56

Hi Donna If you have his marriage cert , it should give his age, and also his father's name, which may enable you to "skip" him, and move on and hunt for his father. Regards Maxine

Donna

Donna Report 31 Aug 2003 20:01

That it does but how can I be totally sure without his birth certificate? It seems too close to be able to skip him at this stage if you know what I mean. Especially as I cant find his death either I would like toi be able to tell my dad about his grandad as he died before my dad was born.

Donna

Donna Report 31 Aug 2003 22:22

Hi Elton, Yes it is, but all I have is on his marriage cert Herts - so how can I be sure I get the right one?

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 1 Sep 2003 00:54

Donna I think you may be looking in the wrong county. The 1881 census shows George Thresher born 1857 (age 24) in Shenley Herefordshire. He was an Able Seaman aboard HMS Martin, Portsmouth and unmarried in 1881. Hope this might belp. Kathleen

Donna

Donna Report 1 Sep 2003 16:42

Thanx for your message, I laso have that info, and I have info from the 1891. I really wanted his birht certificate that cannot be found to get his mothers details, maybe I iwll have to skip and take my best guess?

Janet

Janet Report 1 Sep 2003 16:46

Donna, you are saying Herfordshire, Kathleen says Herefordshire. Jan.

BrianW

BrianW Report 1 Sep 2003 16:47

Kathleen is saying Herefordshire, not Hertfordshire, suggest a double-check on the County.

Deborah

Deborah Report 1 Sep 2003 19:14

Donna, Are there brothers & sisters on the census? Try for one of their birth certs. Debbie

Donna

Donna Report 1 Sep 2003 21:03

Dear All ( especially Elton) Thanks for the ideas: On 1881 he is listed as able Seaman and born in Shenley Herefordshire ( apparently this is quite common) but Shenley is in Hertfordshire. Elton - Did you find that on 1837? I found the pages for those years eligible, and I checked twice?? I guess Barnet would just be the registration district so that may fit. If the Able seaman is my George then I know who the family is but I need to be sure that it is the right George with father Thomas. I take it the GRO will check that the father matches on that volume number before they send it to me? Thank you all.

Donna

Donna Report 1 Sep 2003 21:43

Cheers Elton, I will ask the GRO the question. By the way I also looked up those other names you gave me from teh 1861 and I cant find them on 1837 either! Maybe im really a Thrasher!!!