Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Holland formerly Holland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maxine

Maxine Report 31 Aug 2003 12:31

Hi There I need to pick your brains yet again. When I spoke to the archivist at Stafford records office about by great grandfathers birth certificate, she thought that his mother, listed as Emma Holland formerly Holland, wa a bit odd. She said that in those days (1861) it was extremely unlikely that her maiden name would be given, and it ws more likely to me a former married name. I had always thought that Emma and her husband Vincent were probably cousins, however the archivist thought it was more likely Vincent had married a brother/cousins widow. Have any of you got any experiance of this? Thanks Maxine

Margaret

Margaret Report 31 Aug 2003 12:49

Hi Maxine I think the archivist is wrong this time. I have a birth certificate from 1847 and the mothers maiden name is given. I fact I have never seen one without. Baptism registers rarely give the maiden name maybe she was getting mixed up. Formerly is the maiden name, if the woman had married before her previous name is listed as "late". As for the other part of your question, I have a case of a man marrying his cousin's widow. But in your case I think they were probably cousins which is quite legal of course and happened a lot. Margaret

Maxine

Maxine Report 31 Aug 2003 14:16

Thanks for that Margaret. I am glad it is as I thought, it was her maiden name, as the family have been difficult enough to trace as it is without even more complications - also the Archivist was a bit of a know-all too- so I am secretly quite smug that she got it wrong!!! Maxine

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 31 Aug 2003 16:39

Hi there My maternal grandmother's maiden name became her married name, when she married grandad. Their families had no known connections - and the church even checked! before they got married. She always joked that at least she didn't have to change anyother documents or signature. Liz

Maxine

Maxine Report 31 Aug 2003 18:47

Good point Liz - it might just be coincidence!