Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1871 or 1891 census for Croydon

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvette

Yvette Report 31 Aug 2003 10:26

Does anyone have access to the 1871 or 1891 census for the Croydon area please. I have been looking at the 1881 census for my family and have found a puzzle. My ancester is registered as head of house with a wife and daughter, then there is another man listed at the same address with the same surname, with his wife and children, however we have no knowledge of this man and his family the 1901 census has not been very much help. The obvious conclusion is that they are brothers as the age difference is only 6 years, however i would love to find out more about them.Also if it is common to have the same address with two men registered as head of house. Thankyou.

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 31 Aug 2003 10:30

If you put the names in I will look in the 1891 census for you. Lynda

Yvette

Yvette Report 31 Aug 2003 10:53

Thanks Lynda The names are William Elliff and John Elliff.

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 31 Aug 2003 11:10

Yvette Cannot find a William in that area,but have found John as follows- John Elliffe 44 Head Carman Emma Elliffe 42 Wife Bertha Elliffe 7 Daughter George A Elliffe 1 Son Living at 42 White Horse/House Lane Croydon. Hope this helps. Lynda

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 31 Aug 2003 11:16

Yvette have found a William Elliffe born in Croydon, but 1891 Living in Stoke Newington, London He's age 58 He's a leather seller and his wife is May age 53 and son looks like Henry age 22 Could this be Him?

Yvette

Yvette Report 31 Aug 2003 11:27

Lynda that is fantastic, thankyou very much, the address you mentioned is the very house that William and his family were living in at the time of the 1901 census and the house where my grandfather was born. My dad even has memories of visiting Williams daughter Annie there when he was a small child. So there must be a family link. Would you be able to look for Williams sons on your 1891 for me as it seems odd that William is not on the 1891 himself, but in the 1881 and 1901. Their names were Alfred,Frederick, Arthur and Frank and they would have been aged 1 - 9. Once again thankyou very much for your help.

Yvette

Yvette Report 31 Aug 2003 11:32

Hi Lynda Just seen the message about William in Stoke Newington, no that cant be my William. The William i am looking into, and his wife Alice lived until well into the 1920's in White Horse Lane in Croydon. Thanks for the name though i will hold onto it in case it is another branch of the family i was unaware of. Yvette

Audrey

Audrey Report 31 Aug 2003 13:30

Can I ask you please how did you get access to the 1891 Census so quick ? Is it on disk somewhere?

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 31 Aug 2003 14:23

Audrey I purchased the 1891 online with Ancestry. If you look on Links on the left hand side of this page you may still be able to have a 2 week free trial. Lynda

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 31 Aug 2003 14:31

Yvette I have had a look for the brothers names, but nothing is coming back, not even with sound a like names, sorry. Lynda

Audrey

Audrey Report 31 Aug 2003 14:35

Thank you. A.

Yvette

Yvette Report 31 Aug 2003 14:36

Thats ok Lynda, many thanks for the information you did find for me and i will keep looking for the rest. The address you found makes it seem very likely that William and John were brothers, and i have lots of info on Johns ancestors, so i can now assume they are Williams as well, and look for documents to back this up.