Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Passenger lists to South Africa

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Aug 2003 09:26

Has anyone found a good site with passenger lists to SA. I have found a couple but they all seem to be around 1800's. I am looking around 1920's? Thank you. Regards Margaret

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 31 Aug 2003 09:33

Hi Margaret,try www.olivetree genealogy.com they have them from 1900 to present day good luck Kathleen

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Aug 2003 09:47

Hi Kathleen, Thanks so much for the prompt response. I have tried that site already but I can't seem to get to anything for SA? It also seems to be American or it leads me onto the Ancestry site and I still don't seem to get any where? Am I doing something worng? Have you had success with it? Regards Margaret

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 31 Aug 2003 10:20

Margaret, I have not tried it,I could have a go if you give a name etc, Kathleen

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Aug 2003 10:59

Hi Kathleen, That is so kind of you.... I am looking for Thomas Thomas and his family from Cardiff area. He would have been traveling with his wife and a few children. The one I am interested in is Wilfred George Thomas who was born in 1916. They settled in Durban, Natal. Thanks once again. Regards Margaret

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 31 Aug 2003 12:35

So sorry Margaret,no luck Im afraid,could only find one ship for S A on the site(1906),had a look at Naturalization Records.com but cant find any info for SA on there,if I can find anything will will contact you, Kathleen

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Aug 2003 13:59

Thanks anyway Kathleen - I really do appreciate your effort and interest in my quest. Regards Margaret

Andy

Andy Report 31 Aug 2003 15:41

I have a similar problem with some of my ancestors. John McFadyen and his wife, Elizabeth (nee Farquharson) left Scotland and emigrated to Victoria in Australia sometime in the 1880s. They had 3 children over there, George, Margaret (Maggie) and Robert (Bob). Elizabeth died in 1899 and is buried over there. However, John and the children left Australia and moved to Nyasaland, which I think is now Malawi. They came back to England on occasions and John was there for his sister-in-law's funeral in 1929 in Scotland. However, I was wondering how on earth I could find out when they moved to Nyasaland although I know it was sometime between 1900 and 1910. Andy.

Janet

Janet Report 31 Aug 2003 21:58

I'd be interested in finding this too. My father was born in South Africa in 1905. I know his mother was in London in 1901, still unmarried, so I don't know exactly when they went. Jan.

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Sep 2003 08:44

Thanks Max. You are a star! Regards Margaret