Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tomb in Cathedral

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

May

May Report 31 Aug 2003 08:18

I went to St. Nicholas Cathedral Newcastle on Tyne to look for a tomb of an ancestor my father told me about. A few years ago when I lived down south I paid £25 for a search but they couldn't find him. I went last week and found him in 5 minutes. Unfortunately the tomb is half covered by the pews so all you can see is the name Thomas Small, no date or inscription. I asked if there was any recorded information on the tombs but they said no. I don't know which Thomas Small it is as I have a Tom Small and his sisters who were christened there from 1847-1852 but his father Thomas Oswald Small born 1814/15 although I don't think it could have been him as the full name would have been on. His father was Thomas Small born about 1780-85 so It might have been him. The name Thomas seems to have been handed down. I would love to know which one it is. Anyone got any ideas how I could find out which one it is. The only thing they could say was that when the pews get old they will be replaced and then I would be able to see the inscription. I am 68 now so don't think I will be here for that. May

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 31 Aug 2003 09:22

Hello May Type St Nicholas Newcastle into search then scroll down to Newcastle St Nicholas. The index to all parish registers and M.I. will come up. Hope this helps Shirley

May

May Report 31 Aug 2003 10:35

Hello Shirley, Thank you for the information. Will have a look. Sorry I'm so late in replying, friend came round for a cuppa. Thanks again May