Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1837 Online Musings

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris

Chris Report 31 Aug 2003 00:44

Having downloaded several hundred pages from 1837 it got me wondering what if in the future 1837 disapeared at some future date ....and if I had to reformat my hard drive due to a virus or something nasty happening....how am I going to view those pages without the viewer.....answer visit Lizardtech the people who provide the viewer... you can manualy download the viewer program to a disc and install it yourself......this way you will always have a copy of the viewer and be able to access all your pages whatever the future brings. PS its a 4.5 meg download so this tip will only help if you can save it to a Cd Burner or the like it wont fit on a floppy unfortunatly

David_Vickers

David_Vickers Report 31 Aug 2003 07:38

Christopher Many thanks for this useful tip. Must copy the viewer to CD. A similar problem could arise in the future for anybody using Scotland's People or other sites which use viewers(remember Scottish Origins losing the contract with GROS?). I never used to save viewed images which were definitely or probably not related to my research. The trouble is that in this game you never know when a discounted certificate will prove to be relevant. I now find the best policy is to save everything you have paid for - and that's where CDs are a distinct advantage. David

Penelope

Penelope Report 31 Aug 2003 12:17

Thank you Christopher! I've followed your example and now have this viewer on CD Regards Penny