Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birthplace queries

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvette

Yvette Report 30 Aug 2003 22:45

I have been looking into my g/grandfathers family and in the 1901 census he is listed under 'where born' as Chile So America Bs. Can anyone help me with ideas on where to look to find out why he was born over there when the rest of his family,(both before and after him) were born in various locations around London and Croydon. Also what does the Bs stand for? Thankyou.

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Aug 2003 22:46

Could Stand for British Subject. Was his father in the services?

Yvette

Yvette Report 30 Aug 2003 22:59

Hi Clare Thanks for your reply, i did think it might be British Subject but as i am new to all this i wanted to make sure i wasnt missing something else. As far as i know there are no links to the services, as they ran a local greengrocers stall for many many years.

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Aug 2003 23:01

Bit strange then, have you looked at the original online to make sure it wasnt a bad transcription

Yvette

Yvette Report 30 Aug 2003 23:21

Yes, it was actually the original online that i found the entry on. I have no way of checking with anyone living about it as John emigrated to Canada in the 1920 and disappeared somewhere in the early 1950s. So far no evidence of a death record that fits him, but its quite a common name so hard to pin down the right one.

Melba64

Melba64 Report 30 Aug 2003 23:55

One of my relatives is in the 1901 census and was born in West Indies (in about 1840). It says he is a British Subject so I assume that is what your Bs stands for. I also don't know why he was born there. His occupation was a Packer in the cotton industry in Pendleton, Salford. On his marriage certificate it says his father was a nightwatchman. My history isn't very good so does anyone else have any suggestions as to what the family would be doing there? I did think Slave Trade but I don't think the family was wealthy and I don't believe he was mixed race so his British mother must have been there if he was born there. Sorry if this isn't clear but I am getting tired so I might just go to bed now. Nite Nite everyone. Melanie