Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Registrar's Certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 30 Aug 2003 21:46

Does anyone know why a Registrar's Certificate is used for a Marriage instead of Banns or a Licence?

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 30 Aug 2003 22:16

Hello Angela Sorry I can't help with your question but, maybe this snippet will be useful to someone. From 1754 All marriages took place after banns or by licence. Banns or declared intentions to marry, were read out by the Minister during services on three Sundays preceeding the wedding day. They were read out in churches of both parties and details of them in a special banns book. They were then kept in the parish chest. A look in the banns book may tell you the name of the parish where the other party lived and thus lead you to the church where they were married. Shirley

Sue

Sue Report 30 Aug 2003 23:49

Is a registras cert signed when say like a ships capt marries you, you would still need a cert

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 30 Aug 2003 23:57

Sue I have seen that the story of ships captains performing marriages is just that - a story. They are not licenced to marry anyone. Kathleen

Angela

Angela Report 31 Aug 2003 11:01

I recently got a Marriage Certificate from a Parish Church in Leicester,a Marriage in 1881. Instead of by Banns or Licence it was after Registrars Certificate. My reference books haven't helped, that is why I wondererd if anyone out there knew what it meant.

Gary

Gary Report 31 Aug 2003 12:15

Angela I am no expert but I thought a Registrars Certficate means a civil rather than church wedding. Also how would you get a a Marriage Certificate from a Parish Church? Do you mean an entry in the Parish Records? Could it be a church blessing? Does anyone know when civil weddings first started? Gary

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 Aug 2003 12:20

What date are you talking about? It may be that it was a free church (Methodist, Baptist etc.) wedding when banns are not called. Ann Glos

May

May Report 31 Aug 2003 12:50

Hi Angela, I don't know if this is any help but if you want to get married in church it states that, Unless your marriage is to be according to the rites and ceremonies of the Church of England or Wales, where banns are usually read, you will be required to give notice to the Superintendant Registrar in whose district you reside. May