Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

C.D's Christmas present list

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brenda

Brenda Report 30 Aug 2003 19:12

Hi Can anyone advise what I could put on my christmas pressie list to help me find information about my family tree, because I keep drawing blanks via the net with one particular branch. the more suggestions, the better..thanks

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Aug 2003 19:22

Have a look in a family history magazine, there is listings of whats available, also try Ebay under genealogy

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 31 Aug 2003 10:44

I have just purchased "The Family and Local History Handbook" it was 9.99 pds but the info and web site listed in the book is brilliant, it is now my bible, worth every penny. Kim

Lynne

Lynne Report 31 Aug 2003 12:27

Barbara What information is on the Vital Records Index and where did you get it from please? Lynne

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 31 Aug 2003 17:16

The Vital Records Index is a good buy I found births and marriages that I had been searching for, for ages and these were all in different areas of the country. One list helped me to trace marriages back to 1702 Bren Mills

Margaret

Margaret Report 31 Aug 2003 22:33

You get the Vital Records cds from the LDS in Birmingham

mab

mab Report 1 Sep 2003 13:07

Re Vital Records CD. I have looked at the LDS site and assume this is "Vital Records Index 2nd Edition". Please could someone tell me whether it is necessary to buy the "Resource File Viewer" as well?. Thanks, Marian

SueS

SueS Report 1 Sep 2003 13:20

I bought the BIVRI2 a few months ago and it comes complete with the viewer CD which you load. (my son did it for me so don't ask me how it works) It has millions of records, is easy to use...the LDS produce excellent software...BUT....it has not been any use to me as most of my ancestores were RC and LDS were not give access to many RC parish registers. Leicestershire was the one county where I did have CofE ancestors but for some reason is hardly covered. Sue

mab

mab Report 1 Sep 2003 13:27

Thank you very much Sue, I might take a chance on it then. Marian

Brenda

Brenda Report 2 Sep 2003 18:32

Hi thanks to all who have replied to my request..the book sounds good as do the tapes from the LDS brenda