Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CWGC WEB SITE SUCCESS!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 30 Aug 2003 17:36

Just thought I'd share some good news, I stumbled across the Commonwealth War Graves web site (in links page) last night, and typed in my father's surname. I didn't know if he had any relatives that had died in the war, and couldn't believe it when I found his grandfather named there - the page also showed details of his wife, their address, and his father and his address! So after weeks of searching for any relatives, I found three in one go. I showed my dad the details this morning, he didn't know that his grandfather had been in the war, and was thrilled to see a printout of his details. I took him to the cemetery that the memorial is in this afternoon -he was so happy to see his grandfather's name there. As my dad is 78, I don't think he imagined ever finding out details like this. Makes it all worthwhile!

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 30 Aug 2003 17:48

Hi What a great find. Bet your Dad was over the moon. Good luck for further finds Liz

Mystified

Mystified Report 31 Aug 2003 07:01

CWGC is the site that got me started on this 'hobby'. I had long suspected a great uncle had died in the war and low and behold there he was. I have since been to the grave and he is also on the war memorial in his village. I got quite emotional and can understand how your dad must have felt. Keep going.

Pinkie

Pinkie Report 31 Aug 2003 08:02

julie ,well done so glad for you and your dad. tina:0)

Olgiza

Olgiza Report 31 Aug 2003 10:39

hi Julie. I had a good start too (apart from the help from this site) when I searched the CWGC for the family name as it had been said many years ago that my dad had a brother killed in ww1. I found him and he was called James Arthur Whybrew. Unfortunately there was no previous mention of him anywhere. Then I found out that he was my g'mums son by her marriage to james arthur Boyton and he was born Arthur James. Then I tried to trace further and lost him but someone on this site pointed out that the re was a Bayton family on the 1901 site. My tries for other members of the family are just as difficult and my 'phone bill went up by 100% last quarter but I share that feeling of excitement with you about getting something concrete. Roger

Yvette

Yvette Report 31 Aug 2003 10:58

Hi Julie Thats great news. I also found the CWGC a valuable site, after thinking my grandfathers surname to be unusual i visited this site and found a whole family full. Sadly most of them died in 1917 but from this i found details of their parents and a whole load of ancesters to look into. My father is 64 and knew none of his grandparents either side or their history so this was amazing for him and i can well undertand how both of you felt. Yvette