Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1891 lookup Liverpool please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lilian

Lilian Report 30 Aug 2003 14:23

I'm looking for Williams family in Liverpool, father John, born Wrexham about 1830, mother Margaret, born Bangor about 1848, sons James, born Lpool 1871/72 and John born Lpool 1877. I found them in the 1881 but need confirmation of John snr and Margaret's age before I try to find where they were married. Any help would be really appreciated. Lilian

Janet

Janet Report 30 Aug 2003 14:39

I found this: 99a Lichfield Street, Liverpool: Margaret Williams, Widow, Aged 40, Charwoman, born Bangor James Williams, Son, Aged 14, Scholar, born Liverpool. Jan.

Lilian

Lilian Report 30 Aug 2003 17:14

Thanks Jan, Unfortunately, I don't think they are mine. My James would be 18 or 19 and I was hoping young John (my grandfather)would be there. In 1881, they were living in Everton. Does any other family fit the bill? Thanks for your help, Lilian

Janet

Janet Report 30 Aug 2003 18:02

Sorry, can't find any others that fit. Jan.

Stan

Stan Report 31 Aug 2003 12:51

Hi, Lilian, There is a John Williams aged 14 in Liverpool in 1891: 53 Lime Street: Servant working for Henry G Winslade, Manager publican, as barman, born Liverpool, Lancashire. There is no reason why this could not be the John Williams in your list. As regards the James Williams identified by Jan, I read his age as 17, like the Ancestry transcriber did. Whether it is credible for the eldest son of a charwoman still to be studying at 17 I don't know, but presumably he could have won a scholarship? I therefore agree with Jan's identification of the family. Best wishes Stan Driver

Lilian

Lilian Report 1 Sep 2003 19:15

Thanks Jan and Stan, I was able to find original census entries at my local records office. The street was actually Tichfield Street. Thanks for your help. Where would we be without people like you. Lilian