Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

So what's really the best family tree software?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 30 Aug 2003 07:29

Hi all, I have been procrastinating for some time now over which family tree software package to invest in. I have my details from GC backed up but not in a way I can easily view when not connected to the internet. I have heard mixed feedback about FTM and I just looked on amazon anyway and they don't have the latest version (10) and the reviews on the US site don't sound that promising. I just want something where I can store the data easy, where I have the possibility to send files or portions of the tree to other people and which prints nice trees. What's the advice??

Angela

Angela Report 30 Aug 2003 07:49

I have found Family Historian 2.1 on amazon. Does anyone use this??

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Aug 2003 08:56

I am thinking of getting Family Tree Maker. S & N have version 11. A good write-up on their site. Richard

Angela

Angela Report 30 Aug 2003 10:26

Thanks Richard, it looks like FTM 11 and Family Historian both get a good write up on genealogy supplies. I'll have a think about it today and maybe someone else also has feedback on one / both.

Keith

Keith Report 30 Aug 2003 10:29

Hi Angela. I've been using FTM for 8 yrs and have no complaints or negative comments. It has been steadily improved with greater facilities over those years. I also attended one of their introductory training days in Salisbury when they produced V8. First Class, Go for it. Good luck

Deborah

Deborah Report 30 Aug 2003 10:51

Hi Angela I run an older version of FTM (v6) and Legacy 4 Deluxe. Both are very good, but some have better or different features than others. Download a few of the free ones and try them! LDS is free and so is the standard version of Legacy, there are many others. Debbie

Melba64

Melba64 Report 30 Aug 2003 17:48

I downloaded the free one from the FamilySearch website. I am not a computer expert but it works for storing the information and I have printed out family groups. I also have a zipped back up on disc. Melanie

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 30 Aug 2003 18:44

I started with FTM V6 and now have V11, no complaints. I think it is a question of what you get used to. Have found TWR Computing the cheapest. Ros

Angela

Angela Report 31 Aug 2003 08:21

Thanks for all the tips. I think I have made up my mind to buy FTM 11. It seems the best all round and has all of the functionality that I was looking for.