Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Teachers not allowed to marry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 28 Aug 2003 12:38

I have two Great Great Aunts who were teachers in Darlington. Neither married. A friend mentioned that pre World War II, female teachers were not allowed to marry. Can any historians out there confirm this? Paul

Janet

Janet Report 28 Aug 2003 13:06

Yes, I remember reading about this recently but, of course, have forgotten where. Seem to remember the rules changed in 1936. Wonder if it applied to other professions as well? Janet (MRS! and teacher!)

Beryl

Beryl Report 28 Aug 2003 13:10

Not certain but think it might have applied to nursing profession too? Most women seem to have given up working once married - we all know where their place was expected to be!! Hope your Darlington research is going well Paul. Beryl Darlington DUR

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 28 Aug 2003 13:25

I once read it applied to most jobs for women,Taching Nursing and Shop assistants particulary in Dept Stores.However some places started to relax the rule esp in the War Kathleen

Paul

Paul Report 28 Aug 2003 17:56

Having so many female spinters and also having family members wiped out by TB between 1875 and 1885 makes it easy to complete the research into the majority of branches of the Baker family of Darlington. And Beryl, I seem to be spending a lot of time in Darlington recently. Only yesterday (acting on the notes made by a Great Great Uncle) I was searching through Darlington West Cemetery and found six graves listing around 15 Baker family members who lived between 1800 and the 1920s. It was quite exciting. Paul (researching Baker, Heslop, Snaith, Johnson, Brown & Carter families of Darlington)

Patricia

Patricia Report 28 Aug 2003 19:20

It applied to Bank Clerks as well. When I started working in a bank in 1962, all the older female staff were Misses. I was told at the time that it was only a few years earlier that the rules had changed. In addition, only male staff were allowed mortgages at the lower "staff" rate, & married women could not get a transfer to a branch in another area. Pat

Valice in

Valice in Report 28 Aug 2003 21:26

and wo betide you if you wanted to marry a bank clerk from a competitor bank, you both had to get your banks permission!

Patricia

Patricia Report 29 Aug 2003 19:21

Valerie I had forgotten that one, also not being allowed to hold an account at a rival bank. Pat

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 29 Aug 2003 20:34

Hi Paul And yes to Beryl it did apply to nurses even as only in the 1960's when a nurse married if she was just about to finish her training she had to have permission of Matron!! Ann,Darlington ps may bump into you Paul in the West Cemetery one day!!

Mary

Mary Report 2 Sep 2003 09:21

Donkey's years ago in any job if a woman married she had to give up her job up!! MARY

Pamela

Pamela Report 2 Sep 2003 15:48

Paul, Did you know that there was a teacher training college in Darlington? my Gt Grandmother was there in 1875. Durham CRO have a register and some archive material so you may be able to find out more about your teachers in that. (The catalogue is online, and they are very good about postal/email enquiries if you are not local) The copy page of the year book I have (of circa 1895) mentions married names of teachers, (and gives some information about addresses or schools they are at) but not if they are still teaching after marriage or have had to give up. Certainly my ggmother seems to have done. Pam