Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please 1851 census Darlington

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 27 Aug 2003 23:50

Hi can any one help me please I am looking for inf on Thomas Oyston or Oysten b 1833 m 1855 St Johns parish Darlington any info would help as have hit brick wall many thanks Maureen

Paul

Paul Report 28 Aug 2003 00:28

Is this the Thomas Oyston who married Ann - who is listed on the 1881 Census at Wolviston Durham? There is an index to the 1851 Census of Darlington, but its not at the Darlington library. A relative of mine went to a Family Research place in London and got lots of information from the index. I will try to find out more - ansd I will keep my eyesopen next time I trawl through the records. Regards Paul

Beryl

Beryl Report 28 Aug 2003 08:21

Maureen The 1851 census for Darlington and some of the surrounding area has been indexed by Cleveland Family History Society. The booklets are in Darlington Local Studies library. It is just a name index but it gives folio nos. so you can pretty much tie people together. I'll be in town tomorrow and will do a quick look for you - hopefully may strike gold. If I can manage it and there is a free machine I might have time to look at census on film. Beryl Darlington Dur

Maureen

Maureen Report 28 Aug 2003 11:08

Hi Paul Thanks but wrong one he married Jane Fishburn.She was born 1835.on certificate said both from this parish. many Thanks Maureen

Maureen

Maureen Report 28 Aug 2003 11:13

Hi Beryl Thanks would be very pleased if you could find anything.He married Jane Fishburn B 1835 on certificate said both of this parish thanks again Regards Maureen

Beryl

Beryl Report 28 Aug 2003 13:05

Hi Maureen, I have a copy of the 1851 census index for Evenwood area and found some Oystons on that who may be connected to you? Ann 40 born Evenwood folio no.92 Ann 7 -"- Jane 8 -"- Jonathan 2 -"- Joseph 38 -"- Margaret 5 -"- Mary A 13 -"- Mary 40 born Park Houses, Westmorland folio no.92 Beryl Darlington DUR

Maureen

Maureen Report 28 Aug 2003 19:17

Thanks Beryl I dont know where Evenwood or Westmorland. Thomes is the only one I have found in Darlington.in 1881 their lived in Stocton-on-Tees.and in 1891 was not there but family where.I think I have the right one who died in 1909 Stockton Workhouse. Maureen

Beryl

Beryl Report 29 Aug 2003 12:26

Hi Maureen Checked the 1851 census index for you but no sign of Thomas Oyston in Darlington then. Checked St.John's parish plus the other two and no Oystons at all. There are a small number of Fishburns but again not a Jane I'm afraid. Beryl Darlington DUR

Beryl

Beryl Report 29 Aug 2003 15:49

Just keeping this on the board for Maureen to see. Beryl

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 29 Aug 2003 16:08

Maureen I have sent you mail Ann,Darlington

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 29 Aug 2003 16:08

Maureen I have sent you mail Ann,Darlington

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 29 Aug 2003 19:16

trying to keep this near the top for Maureen to see Ann,Darlington

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 30 Aug 2003 09:50

Maureen read you E-mail going to Library today and may not go again for two weeks --on hoilday Ann,Darlington

Maureen

Maureen Report 31 Aug 2003 06:09

Hi Berly and Ann I have sent you both Emails Thanks again Maureen