Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Forename missing from Census!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cazziemc

Cazziemc Report 19 Jul 2003 22:41

Hello, I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the following for me? I have a copy of the 1861 census entry, showing my great great grandmother and her family. Her name was Ann Hymes (2nd marriage, previous name Booth, maiden name Moss). Her husband was James Hymes and occupation, where born etc is given. There are 4 children living with the couple, one of them my great grandfather, John, aged 5 at the time and on as stepson (to James) the other 2 children are Anna Ellen (Hannah)Booth - stepdaughter, aged 8, scholar, William Booth, 10, stepson, scholar. I have birth certificates for all 3. Now the mystery!! On the line below Ann Hymes, there is a complete gap where the forename should be, then: Booth, stepdaughter, aged 15, maker up factory, born Lancashire Salford. I have no clue as to the first name of this girl. She is not with the family on the 1871 census (probably married). Another puzzle is that her age makes her born in approx 1845. However, I have Anne Hymes wedding certificate to William Booth, and they did not get married until 1849. I know many children were born out of wedlock, but 4 years is surely pushing it!! Any help whatsover would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Carol

George

George Report 19 Jul 2003 22:53

HI I would'nt say 4yrs is pushing it, my great great great grandmother had a child two years before she married my ggg grandfather. That is a hard one though George

Helen

Helen Report 19 Jul 2003 23:49

Could her previous husband Mr Booth have had a daughter from a previous marriage of his?

Vera

Vera Report 20 Jul 2003 08:14

Carol I would take it that this Miss Booth 15 year old is the stepdaughter of the head of the household who is James Hymes. Therefore Miss Booth age 15 is the daughter of Ann Hymes, late Booth, formerly Moss and her FIRST husband Mr. Booth. As you have a copy of the original census entry it would seem that the name has been missed off. You will have to find her birth in c 1846/47 or the marriage of her parents. Hope this helps Vera Manchester, LAN

Cazziemc

Cazziemc Report 20 Jul 2003 13:29

Hello to all who replied. I had thought about everything you all said, but, William Booth was a bachelor when he married Hannah Moss, so wouldn't have had any children to a previous wife, and they weren't married until 1849. I cannot find the birth certificate until I know the forename. Help me pleeeeaase before I go round the bend!! Thanks, Carol

Vera

Vera Report 20 Jul 2003 14:12

Carol Sorry I missed the part where you said you had the marriage of Ann Moss & William Booth. You stated 1849 but not where they married or how old they were at the time. The other possibility is that you cannot find a birth (with or without a name to verify) because the child was illegitimate and born when Ann Moss was in her mid teens. Her birth could have been registered under the name of the mother - Moss. If you know where Ann Moss lived it could point to where the child was registered. Yet another - have you looked on the 1851 census for Ann Moss (and child of around 6)and her parents? You may have an address on her marriage to Wm. Booth. Good luck Vera, Manchester LAN

George

George Report 20 Jul 2003 14:21

My ggg grandmother was born illegitimate and she changed her birth place on every census. Recently I discovered that she had actually been born and raised in a staffordshire workhouse. So my advice is if the child was born out of wedlock then take a look at the local workhouse records cos you never know. George