Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding George Hawker

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 25 Jun 2003 22:05

Im trying to find my gt gt gt grandfather George Hawker who on 1881 and 1901 census said he was born in 1853, on marriage certificate born in 1851 in Oldbury on severn, glos.His father was Thomas Hawker (a farmer). I cannot find his birth certificate! Ive looked in free BMD, but the George Hawkers born around that time have the wrong fathers. Can anyone help?

Crista

Crista Report 25 Jun 2003 22:55

Paul, I could be that George lied about his age because his wife Emily was older. Where on FreeBMD does it tell you the parents from the birth record? Crista

Paul

Paul Report 26 Jun 2003 07:26

I used the info on freeBMD to send off for a birth cert., but it then proved to be the wrong one.

Crista

Crista Report 26 Jun 2003 09:05

Hi Paul, can you add what other details you have like wives, children, parents and dates? From what I can see, the George Hawker on the 1901 census who was born in 1953 is not the same George Hawker born in 1953 on the 1881 census. They have different professions, were born in different towns and have different wives. Crista

Paul

Paul Report 27 Jun 2003 12:26

In 1881 and 1901 he was in monmouth, got married there in 1873 to emily williams. His father was thomas ( a farmer ) who was dead by 1873. Please see other message(glos census 1861) for other details. Weve spent ages looking for his birth details! Thanks for looking for us!

Crista

Crista Report 27 Jun 2003 23:54

Paul, couldn't find anything. I see on the 1901 census both Emily and George put their year of birth as 1855 and he's changed his place of birth to Monmouthshire. On the 1881 census it was 1853 and you say the marriage certificare was 1851. Maybe they were underage when they got married and lied about their ages. Maybe widen your search for the birth certificate to cover 1855 as well?

Paul

Paul Report 28 Jun 2003 14:34

Cant thank you enough! Have just found him born in 1855. He may have lied about his age to get married at 18, his dad wad dead though, would that mean he had to get permission from someone to get married?

Crista

Crista Report 28 Jun 2003 20:00

Paul, Glad I could help. I don't think they would have needed parental consent to marry if they were over 21. Maybe someone else can answer that one. Crista