General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Membership renewal

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 7 Jan 2009 14:29

Can anyone help me?
My membership is due for renewal in February, but like everyone else we're feeling "the pinch" and I can't really afford to pay it this time. If my membership lapses, I know I can still use my tree but cannot contact other members without them contacting me first.
But do I also lose all my contacts that I've built up, and all tree accesses that have been granted???
When I do renew at a later date, I don't want to have to contact everyone I've spoken to before!!!
Please can someone tell me what'll happen????
Angi

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Jan 2009 14:33

I have a feeling that you will lose your contacts but I am not sure.

Angela

Angela Report 12 Jan 2009 14:36

Thanks Joan, but I only pay for 6 months at a time anyway - I always have, as that is all that's been offered to me!

I'd love to hear from someone has HAS let their membership lapse, and then came back!!

Louise

Louise Report 30 Apr 2024 15:26

Hi,
Would my tree still be visible if my membership expired?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 30 Apr 2024 16:58

I've replied to your PM, Louise.

A GR tree is only visible if the "owner" gives permission, regardless of membership status.

You can be a member without paying a sub, though with limited access.
If you don't want to renew the sub, click on "Account" at the top of this page, then "Subscription details" in the left hand menu, and make sure "auto renew" is off..

The tree will still exist, and you can still add to it even if you don't pay a sub.
People can still contact you by private message, and then you can let them see the tree if you wish.

Only the tree "owner" can delete a tree.
To do that, make sure auto renew is off, then click also "Delete tree" in the left hand menu.
Make sure that's what you really want to do, as it's not reversible.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Apr 2024 17:22

I hope I have got this right. I have had a message from an ex member friend to add the following to this thread. I hope it makes sense.

As a non subscriber, I can still view my tree & reply to any messages.

The Contact List is still available. If you wanted to start a new conversation with a previous contact, you’d need to find one they’ve sent to you & ‘reply’. You can change the subject header. For instance, AnnG had previously replied to one of mine about something else. . I’ve asked her to add this to your thread by changing the message title to ‘non subscriber membership’.
Hope that helps.