General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 5 + 1 of 3715

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 15 Jan 2021 09:52

Morning all,

Vera I'm so sorry you have lost your dear brother sending you all my love at this sad time <3

A dull day here ,yesterday we had a little snow but it didn't lay .

Frank I'm sorry these emails have upset you so much and I hope you'll soon feel ok so you can join us again ,take care.

Gill hope mum is OK and the virus isn't effecting her to much .

AnnG hope you are feeling better today too and that T is still comfortable.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Jan 2021 08:54

I am so sorry Vera, not unexpected I am sure but devastating for you and the family. As gill says although we will miss your posts we understand you need some time to yourself for a few days. come back when you are ready. <3 <3 <3

Gillx

Gillx Report 15 Jan 2021 08:52

I'm sorry to hear about your brother Vera, don't worry about posting on here just look after yourself and come back when you're ready. Sending a gentle (((hug)))

Sorry to hear about Colin's SIL Mandy, sending a gentle ((hug)) to you to.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 15 Jan 2021 02:59

I am unable to rest at all tonight so have come on just to let you know I may not be posting for a couple of days. My beloved younger brother died late last night.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 14 Jan 2021 22:20

Poor Vera you have had a day of mishaps and the staple must have been the last straw. Its going to hurt now for a while as I always find that with injuries to a finger you just touch more than you think with that finger and dos'nt it ache so? I was nearly as bad as you with that this week as I grabbed the chicken run door and put my thumb on a screw that had come through the wood. It hit me full on the pad of my left thumb. Ouch. Perhaps you have had all your mishaps in one day and won't have anymore for a while now we hope.

Ssorry Ann I thought you said you would use it in the kitchen as well as taking it out with you to rest on if the knees play up.

Annx

Annx Report 14 Jan 2021 22:01

AnnG, in your predicament it would be surprising if you weren't a bit down in the dumps. Life is full of uncertainty for you about anything just now, you are just in this awful limbo on your own and you can't do much other than wait and see. I think you are doing so well in the circumstances. Try to ignore what your mind is telling you. It doesn't know any more about the future than your eyes can see round corners. None of us do whatever our age really. I bet Captain Tom would say that last year was one of his best years! Here is another big hug for you (((((((. <3 <3 <3 <3))))).

One of the things I wish I had done years ago is learn to read music and play the piano or at least try!

I wonder what emails upset Frank? I hope he's ok and soon comes back as we will miss him.

Mel the shooting stick is not to use in the kitchen, just to adjust and try in there so I know what size/height the seat I order needs to be as worktops are higher than tables. That must be annoying that your arm is hurting again. I hope it settles down again quickly. My R foot seems to be getting much better now and I could bear weight on it today. I'm still rubbing the anti inflammatory gel on it.

You have had a day Vera! Some days we just seem to go backwards don't we. I hope you sleep better tonight..

No Gill today? I do hope her mum is ok as it will be a worry for them if she gets worse with the virus.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 14 Jan 2021 21:55

AnnG, OH usually drinks red wine but he had poured himself a glass of my rose, and yes you are right, we no longer have a carpet but an oiled wood floor.

It really was a day of mishaps as I’ve just remembered something else. I got my meds from the chemist and for some reason they had stapled the top of the bag over. Instead of being sensible and going upstairs to get the staple remover I just tore at the top and as I did so the staple went right through the pad of my index finger. All I could see were the two bent ends. I couldn’t just pull it out because it would have been like a fish hook and got embedded so I had to gently manoeuvre it through my finger and it was blooming sore. Then I had to clean it and put antiseptic cream and plaster on as I didn’t know how clean it was, and all because I was too lazy to walk upstairs. Serves me right really.

Mel, I’ve never found beetroot to help my bad heads at all though we do have quite a lot of it. We both like it cold with a salad or roast as a vegetable so I regularly buy it and daughter gives me quite a lot of her home grown ones as well.

I had to laugh at a phone call I had tonight from a local friend. She said “I hear you’re getting your Covid jab on Saturday”. I’ve only told one person so said “I suppose M. told you”. Apparently not. She had heard it from P. who was told by A who might have heard it from M. The local grapevine is obviously flourishing :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jan 2021 19:33

Oh dear an accident prone day Vera, was it red wine? But am I right you don’t have a carpet? Hopefully that is it for awhile. Now if it had been yesterday you might have blamed the date. I have just put a couple of books I have just finished on the book thread.
And thank you for words of wisdom and hug.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 14 Jan 2021 18:29

Don’’t be too hard on yourself AnnG. You’ve had a really tough few months and are bound to get down from time to time but you’ll bounce back. I sometimes feel that the best is behind us now, particularly where travel is concerned, but when this pandemic eases and we have a bit more freedom we’ll all make a new, albeit different, best. Tell yourself that you are going to enjoy the memories of the past but you are going to make new memories in the future and though life may be different it will still be good.

Now Mel has given you a shake and I’ve talked to you like a Dutch uncle you deserve a ((((hug)))) as well.

I am sorry you are upset Frank and leaving us for a while. Take care of yourself and come back soon.

We are having one of those days. I knocked a mug of tea over and it went all over the kitchen floor and down inside cupboards and drawers. Then I knocked my glasses flying. Luckily they didn’t break or bend. Finally I turned the tap on, put the kettle under it and got drenched as water went everywhere. I had forgotten to take the lid off :-(. Well, I thought, that’s our three things, only then OH knocked a glass of wine all over the lounge floor. I think I’ll go back to bed and start the day again ;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jan 2021 18:12

We think he might have another infection so he may be sleeping a lot.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 14 Jan 2021 18:00

Perhaps later then.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jan 2021 17:21

No not heard anything so far.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 14 Jan 2021 17:14

Its just all the upset of not knowing what is happening to T. Have you not heard from him today?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jan 2021 16:43

Thanks for the shake Mel! No doubt I will bounce back tomorrow. It is odd as I am normally a very positive person.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 14 Jan 2021 15:40

I hope the unwarrented emails were'nt mine as I was only trying to help with your tree Frank.

Hope you feel able to come back soon as you are always welcome to chat and tell us your news and what you have been up to. <3

Frank

Frank Report 14 Jan 2021 15:24

Hi all, just to let you know I will be leaving the THREAD for a period of time. I feel as though I am heading for A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN. I have been receiving some very unwarranted EMAILS, that have upset me.

So please accept this as my last posting, until I feel able to come back. NO TELEPHONE CALL PLEASE. I will return when I am ready.

Kindest regards, to all of you. xxxx

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 14 Jan 2021 15:04

O Anng you are down I will give you a good shake}}}}}}}}}Anng{{{{{{{{{ hows that?

Think your right about Frank popping in and posting too. He used to post a lot during the day at one time. Too engrossed in his books I expect but we hav'nt heard from him today yet.

I hav'nt done my hair today as I hurt my arm in the night getting the covers over me after a visit to the loo. It made me shout out but oh snored on. I don't mind his snoring like some of you do with your hubbies. At least I know he's ok as sometimes he stops breathing for ages and that keeps me awake.

Vera sorry to hear you have a fuzzy head today and I expect it is all the worry of your brothers health and other things that are causing it. Have you tried eating beetroot as thats supposed to help with migraines? Hope you feel better after a little ride out in the car and different scenery iot will be a nice change.

So Ann you have found a nice suitable shooting stick that you think will be ideal for the kitchen and when you go out and have to wait in ques (sp).

I have to fill all our pill boxes today so I better get on with it.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jan 2021 12:38

sick headaches are horrid Vera, maybe it is lack of fresh air not helping.

just to make my day I walked down the road to the post box and decided to take my new access card to what was the NAAFI and is now Cost Cutters to get it verified by using the pin. Got there, shop shut for maintenance, probably until mid February.. Oh well at least I had a walk. But the walk didn't get me out of the doldrums, telling myself there are a lot worse off doesn't help either. Sorry to offload on here, don't really want to spread misery but my mind keeps telling me that the best is all behind me, finding it hard to see anything to look forward to in the future. But that is more our personal situation I know. I badly need a reason for looking forward and try as I might I can't find one. Somebody give me a good shake. :-)

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 14 Jan 2021 11:37

Morning all

We are a sleepless lot aren’t we? We all need a bang on the head with a rubber hammer. I had another bad night. I am getting a lot of sick headaches lately, not full blown migraines but bad enough. I think I am a bit stressed with things going on with family and friends and being stuck indoors all the time.

Sorry you are feeling down AnnG. I am not surprised with all your stresses at the moment and the winter weather. It’s been pouring here since the middle of the night again and is only 3 degs so another miserable day. It’s quite windy too.

I’ve just completed a Sainsbury order for this Saturday. It’s a smaller one than usual but I am fairly well stocked and I have Tesco barely a week later.

I’ve been waiting for a phone call since 9.30. If it doesn’t come soon I shall have to go out to pick up my meds. OH wants to take advantage of being able to go out for an essential reason to give the car a little run around and make sure the battery is well charged so it’s always ready for emergency use. We’ll stay local so it won’t get a good run but at least it’ll give the engine a chance to tick over a bit.

OH is hovering now so I’d better get my coat on, grab our masks and other bits and go.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jan 2021 11:27

Mel, I think Frank just posts and leaves, he doesn't seem to remark on any of the other posts so it may be he doesn't see your family history post anyway.

Ann will be interested in the folding seat, sound like a good thing to have for emergencies.