General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Emil Karl H A Muus

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 28 Feb 2011 22:22

Hi
Can anyone help with the above name. Emil was born in 1876 and married Catherine Coppock in 1900 they had 3 sons Emil Henry born 1901 and Harry born 1903 Edward born ? all in South Shields
I am also looking for Emil Karl's father Detlef Heinrich Muss.I have no records at all as we are not sure where he was born and nothing showing for a birth or marriage. I just have his name as father on Emil Karls marriage certificate.
Emil born in 1901 changed their name from Muus to Mews and he married Winifred Kate Jackson. 19th March 1925

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 28 Feb 2011 22:36

Is this of any help, from the IGI - Liz

Detleff Hinrich Muess - International Genealogical Index / GE
Gender: Male Birth: 15 MAY 1779 Sierksdorf, Schleswig-Holstein, Preussen

2. Detleff Hinrich Muess - International Genealogical Index / GE

3. Detleff Hinrich Muess - International Genealogical Index / GE

4. Detleff Jacob Muess - International Genealogical Index / GE
Gender: Male Birth: 19 MAR 1788 Haffkrug, Schleswig-Holstein, Preussen

5. Detleff Jacob Muess - International Genealogical Index / GE
Gender: Male Birth: 19 MAR 1788 Haffkrug, Schleswig-Holstein, Preussen

6. DETLEFF HINRICH MUESS - International Genealogical Index / GE

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Feb 2011 23:38

Kathleen,

Can you check the spelling? You have Muss for the heading but the surname is Muus in the registration index.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Feb 2011 23:44

Name changed to Mews earlier than you though:

Births Dec 1906
Mews Edward S. Shields 10a 801

Births Jun 1915
Mews Catherine Coppock S.Shields 10a 1709

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Feb 2011 23:52

Emil's birthplace is listed in 1901. That can help you narrow things down.

Rose

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 1 Mar 2011 02:24

for ref

1911 census - household transcription
Person: MEWS, Emil
Institution: South Shields Union Childrens Homes, SOUTH SHIELDS UNION CHILDREN'S HOMES
MEWS, Emil Inmate M 10 1901 Durham South Shields

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 1 Mar 2011 02:27

1901 census - household transcription
Person: MAUS, Emil
Address: 4, Pleasant Place, South Shields
MAUS, Emil Head Married M 24 1877 Shipyard Labourer
Germany (Foreign Subject) German VIEW
MAUS, Catherine Wife Married F 19 1882 Shipyard Labourer
Durham
England
COPPOCK, Thomas Relative M 5 1896
Durham
England

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 1 Mar 2011 19:49

Thanks Rose the spelling should have been MUUS.

As i am not sure where to look over seas where do i find the International Genealogical Index. We always thought that Emil Henry Mews born 1901 was of German Origin but now we are beginning to wonder if he was of Dutch origin. No matter how much searching i do i can not seen to get back any further than Emil Karl Henry Alwin Muus who married Catherine Coppock Jan 13th 1900 at the age of 23 whose marrige certificate i have.
His father Detlef Heinrich Muss was deceased at the time of the marriage. This is who i am trying to find.

Kath

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 1 Mar 2011 20:36

Kathleen, did you see Liz's post at the very top of the thread?

Those are records from the International Genealogical Index.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/igi/search_igi.asp

The names certainly match your Emil Karl Henry Alwin Muus's father. Too old to be his father, but they might be a grandfather or great-grandfather -- the name might not be too common, so they're worth considering, e.g. for a location.

It seems, from a couple of posts on the internet found by googling *muus surname*, that one batch of those Muus-s (from Schleswig-Holstein) ended up in the US:

http://boards.ancestry.netscape.com/surnames.muus/4/mb.ashx

Another origin to consider -- Norway:

http://www.findagrave.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1640103

The IGI has 100+ Muus events in Norway (actually many are duplicates), but none to match yours.

The familysearch sister site

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html

is another place to search.

If I can just ask, the Chat board is not actually the place for family history help posts -- you haven't posted this same request on any other boards on the site? Just to make sure no duplicate efforts are happening.

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 1 Mar 2011 21:13

Hi Karen

It might be a start if you dont mind,any help would be appreciated i have just looked on the latter day saints and although i already have a marriage certificate no record was found

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 1 Mar 2011 21:41

Nice of you to acknowledge my post. I answered your Q re the IGI etc., and consider, perhaps, that I spent some not inconsiderable time doing searches that resulted in what I posted. Hmm, maybe you haven't picked up on the names of posters ...

When you say "although i already have a marriage certificate no record was found" -- you mean no record of that marriage?

The English info on the Mormon sites comes largely from parish records, and there is not much coverage of events c1900.

If you mean no record of the Muus father, it's because whatever record there might be (in whatever country he might have been born and married in) has not been transcribed by the Mormons and entered in their database.

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 1 Mar 2011 22:20

Hi Janey
Sorry I only just found your reply i havent posted anything before hence me being in the wrong section.

Thanks for all your info i had realised in between time that the IGI is the Mormon site which i have looked at before and discovered quite a lot of Muus's but with not a lot to go on just dont know which one to look at .

The marriage of Emil Karl H A i have seen on the Ancestry site but not on the Mormon which you have explained why so thanks again

I havent posted this request any where else so no duplicating
Will go and have a look at some of the sites you have suggested

Kath