General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Registering a birth in 1917

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sally

Sally Report 10 Feb 2013 12:21

Hi all,
I have been trying to find info on a lady who had a baby in 1917, we have the birth cert, but am i right in thinking you don't need to prove who you are to register a birth.
What i mean is could the mother be someone other than who she said she was?
Thanks for your help.
Sally :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Feb 2013 12:24

From personal experience, my great grandmother registered her children giving the name Mrs xxx. At the time, (with 8 of them) she wasn't married to Mr xxx, so she probably never had to provide any documentation to prove her name.

Sally

Sally Report 10 Feb 2013 12:27

No, i didn't think you were asked for info, so anybody could say anything !!!!!!!
Just what you want when you are looking :-S
Sally

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Feb 2013 12:30

There's normally a 'qualification' eg mother, father or, in at least one case, Grandmother.

Sally

Sally Report 10 Feb 2013 12:32

Oh yes, but the mother could say her name is Jane Smith when she is really Jane White maybe?????

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Feb 2013 12:38

...Which is what my g grandmother did!!!!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Feb 2013 12:50

Are you thinking that the child might have been handed over for adoption? That could be a possible scenario. There are no formal records/legislation until the 1920's.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 10 Feb 2013 12:57

I take it that you refer to the info in Column 5 - Mother's Name

You would not have had to prove your id

Qualification for Column 7 - Signature, Description and Residence of the Informant was

Description of informant. The current list of eligible informants reads, in order of preference

(1) In all cases - mother

(2) Father - if he is married to mother

(3) Father and mother jointly where they are not married to one another

(4) A person present at the birth

(5) The owner or occupier of the house or institution

(6) The person in charge of the child

See http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/births.htm

I have a birth cert from 1839 where the informant was the next door neighbour

Roy

Sally

Sally Report 10 Feb 2013 13:15

HI ALL !!!!!!
Many thanks for taking the time to send info.
The son was not put up for adoption, he was fostered, through Dr B's
If anyone wants to have a look at the info i have it is posted on Dorothy BRETT 1890's - i know you shouldn't post two requests for help - don't want to get into trouble :-D
thanks Sally :-)