General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

On line Wills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 20 Feb 2013 14:03

Does anyone have experence of using on line Wills? My friend has just asked me and I have no idea.

Thank you.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 20 Feb 2013 14:04

Do you mean researching
or making one?

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 20 Feb 2013 14:05

Making one.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 20 Feb 2013 14:20

You should only really go down that route if it is an extremely simple one.
Things to consider are inheritance tax, the wider family who may have a legitimate claim (particularly if there has been a remarriage), business interests and so on.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 20 Feb 2013 14:23

Thank you Errol, It is not for me just asking for a friend. I do Know from experience that Wills can be very complicated.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 20 Feb 2013 14:44

Depending on how old she it - why not contact Help the Aged (or whatever they are called these days) they may have and advisory service to help

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 20 Feb 2013 14:54

She is 58, I think she was just considering the cost approx starting at £99.00 for solicitor, and £35 (appros) online.
OH said it is worth paying the extra to be sure it is done correctly.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 20 Feb 2013 15:00

I couldn't agree more - a solicitor will ask pertinent questions and tailor the will accordingly.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 20 Feb 2013 15:02

Yes, we have just been discussing that. She was only exploring the idea, and I wondered if anyone here had any experience.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 20 Feb 2013 20:11

£100.00 is about the average for a will and has been for many years.

Unless she has any complicated legacies she should write down what she wants to do with her home/money etc., and then when she goes to a solicitor it will make things so much easier.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 20 Feb 2013 20:21

Write wishes out and any instructions that you want following,,,,,,and book a solicitor ,,,,,,a home made Will requires two witnesses,,,,,at a solicitor thats all taken care of........well worth the cash as nothing untoward can happen and its followed to the letter.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 20 Feb 2013 20:39

You can also use the will to inform your relations via your solicitor how you want your funeral to be dealt with as well. But that can also be done via a good pre paid funeral plan.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 21 Feb 2013 10:44

Thank you all for your help. My friend will be making an appointment with solicitor. :-D

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 21 Feb 2013 11:26

THank you Annie, I assume you mean on line Wills.