General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Great British class calculator

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

FootieAngel

FootieAngel Report 3 Apr 2013 20:00

Anyone else bothered to take the test

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 3 Apr 2013 20:02

Result: the class group you most closely match is:
New affluent workers

This class group is sociable, has lots of cultural interests and is in the middle of all the class groups in terms of wealth. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

Are young
Come from a working class background
Own their own home

.............Affluent my a**e !!! lol

FootieAngel

FootieAngel Report 3 Apr 2013 20:11

I am a Precariat lol - "This is the poorest and most deprived class group. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group"

I own my own home and yet I'm poor oh well x

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Apr 2013 20:24

I am precariat too.

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 3 Apr 2013 20:27

I won't bother to do the test................

I know my place.......... :-D

Tec

FootieAngel

FootieAngel Report 3 Apr 2013 20:39

Who are these ppl who decide these things?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 3 Apr 2013 20:48

What a load of tosh

"Established middle class" Not in a million years

Roy

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 3 Apr 2013 20:54

Established middle class
This is the most gregarious and the second wealthiest of all the class groups. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

Enjoy a diverse range of cultural activities
Went to university
Are comfortably off, secure and established

What a load of tosh I have never been so ashamed in al my life :-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Apr 2013 20:56

Seems, according to the calculator that 'class' has a lot to do with income.
Well, I've met some very polite, intelligent beggars, (some ex public school) and some pig ignorant, rude 'toff's, who appear to think their money makes them better than others'.
If my income wasn't the same as it was 11 years ago, I would probably still be going to the theatre. Does the fact that I can't afford to now go make me 'lower' class, or intelligent enough to be able to live within my income?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 3 Apr 2013 20:59

Hayley, It's a fix, A load of sh*te, propaganda designed to make people believe things are better than they actualy are

Roy

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 3 Apr 2013 21:04

I must of click a few buttons by mistake Roy

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 3 Apr 2013 21:11

I am traditional working class

"This class group scores low for economic, social and cultural factors, but they do have some financial security".................what is a cultural factor?

According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

"Own their own home".....yes
"Are older"...............yes
"Tend to mix socially with people similar to themselves".............don't we all do that??

xx :-S

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 3 Apr 2013 21:16

Hardly propaganda - it was formulated by the BBC and some universities, not the government. Neither type of institution is liable to lean to the right.

I think it's an interesting was of attempting to redefine the class system to take into account factors other than just parents, education and finance.

I think it needs a bit more work, though.

FootieAngel

FootieAngel Report 3 Apr 2013 21:22

It is way of putting ppl down - we were supposed to have done with the class system not made it more complicated. I guess I'm peeved because I know ppl with no home of their own and no job on benefits who have took the test and rate higher than me. So what if we associate with postal workers and cleaners its manner makes the man not what money he earns. Surely its the character of a man makes them more desirable company x

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 3 Apr 2013 21:27

How can it put people down?

I am still the same person I was before I put my details in so it makes no difference to my life at all :-D

xx

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 3 Apr 2013 21:27

I'm working class but who cares? I certainly don't! I don't care what class anybody is so long as they are polite.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 3 Apr 2013 21:29

Me too Viv.

xx

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 3 Apr 2013 21:29

It only puts you down if you allow yourself to be put down.

If you are comfortable in your own skin no label will make any difference.

FootieAngel

FootieAngel Report 3 Apr 2013 21:30

Not put them down I said that but its not right so sorry - I mean when ppl don't like hearing stuff abt themselves I don't like hearing I'm poor and depraved when I work hard for everything I have. I also don't like to hear my neighbour who has been in the country 6 months is above me in class even though she don't work. Like I said its manners x

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Apr 2013 21:32

The survey covered around 161,000 people, did it not? Sounds a lot but it is only a quarter of a percent of the population. Hardly representative at all.

It is interesting though to see that 'Traditional Working Class' now means someone in a whiter than blue collar job who has savings and owns a house worth around 1/4 million pounds.