General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do you haggle?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Apr 2013 14:08

I watch 'Superscrimpers' sometimes and flinch a bit when the customers ask will the market stall holder take £1.75 instead of the £2 that the veggies actually are... I really couldn't do that, after all from the other side of that transaction the seller also may be struggling to make ends meet.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 23 Apr 2013 15:23

I must admit Rose have haggled in my day but not for veggies etc.

If buying white items, furniture, camera or items like this I always
ask for store manager and ask for his best price on an item.

Emma :-)

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 23 Apr 2013 16:57

I will ignore the post above as the last sentence has nothing to do with haggling and I think it is disparaging to quite a lot of pensioners.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 23 Apr 2013 17:00

That's why I did not reply to it Sue.

Emma

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Apr 2013 17:01

I did a lot of haggling when on holiday in Mexico - they expect it

not tried it over here but if buying cosmetics, always ask if there are any special offers on and usually the sales person will come up with some freebies

my friend was buying some jewellery in a shop in Abergavenny and laughingly I said "Do you do pensioner's rates" and the guy said "I think I can do something on the price for you" Always worth asking

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 23 Apr 2013 17:05

You don't ask you don't get Ann and no harm done
is how I look at it.
I do not take offence if they say no as other stores are
willing to take your money.

Emma

PS. OH leaves me to it :-D

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 23 Apr 2013 17:06

Vera 2010,

Could you please delete the last sentence in your post as it is offensive to me .

Claddagh

Claddagh Report 23 Apr 2013 17:22

I realy dislike haggling at charity stores,it not only emabbarasses me me when folk do this, it makes me feel ashamed.These places are already trying to cut costs etc.Here in Holland,such places do try keepthe costs down..I always pay what they ask, if I don't agree, I just don't pay, simple!! Have seen and KNOWN, that h
e most people with more money, make the most fuss, thus, expect stuff for almost nothing!!!!!!!.

Annx

Annx Report 23 Apr 2013 17:40

I haggle on market stalls with asian people (not for veggies!) as an asian chap I worked with said it was in their culture. He said I would be ripped off if I didn't as prices are inflated anticipating a haggle.

I have always haggled when buying cars and OH asks me buy his cars now. I saved him an extra £1,700 on a car price he was happy with once. Another time, he got money off and a years interest free credit and wanted to go with that. I asked if I could keep any further savings if I got any and he agreed. I got an extra £500, parking sensors fitted free and a full set of floor mats free. :-D

I also haggle when buying electrical goods and if they won't give me money off I ask what they could throw in extra instead. I haggle at car boot sales as well but I wouldn't haggle at a charity shop.......more likely to tell them to keep the change.

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 23 Apr 2013 17:47

no i could never do it, altho i wouldnt knock anyone who does lol

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 23 Apr 2013 17:54

I HAGGLE
AND BARTER,

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Apr 2013 18:01

Just bought a new sideboard from the same store we bought a new table from a few weeks earlier . Its the same range. I looked online at the range and saw various offers the starting price was £950 . Its solid wood and pre made. !!.

The cheapest price I could see was £745 I made note of the prices and then w e went to the local furniture store who were having a sale anyway . asked what their best price was and was told £760. Nope i said i can get it online for £725!! (note the drop!)

Yes they said straight away we will price match so i saved another £20. First time I have done this for other than new car buying but was inspired by the TV programme.

So they made a sale . must have been a good profit margin for them, and we got the side board to match the table .Job Done :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Apr 2013 18:18

haggle in a charity shop? never - more likely to give over the odds

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Apr 2013 18:30

We don't, but do know a young man who does. He is on a very limited income which goes someway to explain the reason for doing so.

He has recently bought a 2nd hand freesat box from Cashconvertors. Priced at £20 he got it for £15.
He has also purchased 3 lamb shanks from a butchers market van, eventually paying £4.50 instead of the asking price of £10. There was enough meat on each one to feed 2 people = 3 meals :-D

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 23 Apr 2013 18:31

They must have some brass neck to haggle in
a charity shop.

Emma

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 23 Apr 2013 18:36

@ vera2010 . What are these pensioners handouts ? I must be missing out. :-(

Kay????

Kay???? Report 23 Apr 2013 19:02

Most certainly do......

get the best price possible for cash at selected places only.

I would never insult a market stall holder or a charity shop,

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 23 Apr 2013 19:37

I work in a charity shop and am amazed at how many people haggle over the prices. One lady asked for money off a coat because a button was missing and when we pointed out it had a spare button she said yes but I still have to sew it on, the manager took 25p off so she paid £4.75 for a good quality coat.

I never haggle but wish I had the nerve sometimes. :-)

vera2010

vera2010 Report 23 Apr 2013 19:40

I have deleted my post as it was found to be offensive to some others. I too am a pensioner and find it offensive that pensioners are offered handouts from the Government and others instead of being given a decent state pension to live on.

Vera

Kay????

Kay???? Report 23 Apr 2013 19:52

Now then Vera,,,,,have you thought about haggling with them to get a better deal....
:-D :-D :-D :-D.