General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

We're nearly there....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 10 Jun 2013 05:51

On top of everything else.

OH just dislocated his finger!

It's a public holiday here, so we'll have to go to the hospital.

He says it doesn't hurt, but it will when they put it back. :-(

Be back sooooooooooon.... I hope.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 10 Jun 2013 07:08

We're back.

Didn't take long ~ the local hospital is a small country one, only one other person in emergency.

He had xrays to see if it was broken. Dislocated.

The doctor was a young woman, OH reckons she's had a sheltered life. He told her he didn't need the numbing injection because he'd dislocated his finger many times when playing football, but he got jabbed anyway. Then when she said she was going to pull his finger........... ok, you can guess what he said! Must be a man thing. She had NO idea what he was talking about, but the radioligist guy did, he was laughing like a drain.

He's all taped up, hand on his shoulder (was told to keep it above his heart) with a bag of frozen peas on it.

I'm wondering if he will play golf on Wednesday....... ofcourse he will! If he was any tougher he'd rust. :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 10 Jun 2013 07:28

What is it with men and their digits?

My son did some damage to his left forefinger a few months ago (February I think it was) when playing football. Bent it right back and damaged the tendons so he has had to have physio and cold compresses for months now, it's only just getting better so he can almost make a fist again.

Then my o.h. damaged his thumb when he was knocked off his bike by a car, so he has to have his thumb bandaged to keep the lower knuckle rigid, and it will take 4 to 6 weeks to heal (ligament torn which pulled away a chip of bone from the knuckle)

Just hope everyone else will be ok, no more accidents!

Lizx

Huia

Huia Report 10 Jun 2013 08:07

A few years ago I dislocated my ring finger at 2 joints. The middle section was to one side of the others. It was extremely painful when the doc pulled it back into position. Luckily I had suggested I should sit down first as I did feel a little bit faint. Also luckily I wasn't wearing my rings at the time.

Mersey

Mersey Report 10 Jun 2013 09:02

Your poor OH Scozz....I hope you are looking after him, caring for his every need :-D :-D ;-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 10 Jun 2013 11:06

He's not happy, cos he can't play golf for at least two weeks.

:-(

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 10 Jun 2013 14:02

Have you noticed that Seb Vettel? when he finishes a race his index finger has a mind of its own!!!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 10 Jun 2013 14:09

are you sure it's not the middle finger?

Leslie

Leslie Report 11 Jun 2013 19:47

Leave Seb's finger alone,,you don't know where it's been!!!!!!! LES.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 14 Jun 2013 02:11

Help!

I'm running out of ideas on what to feed him! He can't use his left hand.

We've had stew, stir-fry, soup, meatballs etc etc.

Any ideas?

I could cut up his food (a bit like having a large toddler in the house :-D ) but I absolutely refuse to chew it for him.

:-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 14 Jun 2013 05:07

How about risotto? Scrambled egg with cheese on jacket spud, well cooked with the middle mashed up and he could pick the empty skin up with his good hand and eat it last? Fish fingers and mashed potatoes with baked beans or peas using a spoon? Grilled sausage in a roll and chips, finger food. Boiled eggs and soldiers?

My o.h. is coping ok with eating o.k., and I leave the washing up to him as he puts a rubber glove over his bandaged hand and manages to do most of the things. He is lucky he can do so much really as long as he keeps the thumb rigid in it's bandage. He is still driving too and can manage to remote controls for the tv lol

It's driving me nuts having him home 24/7 and just think if we had gone on holiday, it would now be the last day! Times flies, at least I have a holiday to look forward to if I can persuade him to book another one for the dates in September that are still free at his works. And I have a trip of my own to make, well two, one to stay with my cousin as soon as I can have the car for a week, and another jaunt I am hoping to make too to sunnier climes.

Hope your o.h. doesn't waste away, mine is getting worried about putting weight back on and messing up his diabetes, as that's the reason he cycled in the first place, well that and losing his licence for six months when he had a bleed on the brain in 2007/8

Lizx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 16 Jul 2013 11:20

It's now nearly 4 months (29 March) since the flood.

I'm still (partly) sane.

Tomorrow morning the carpet layer will be here, to relay the carpet...... and have a look at the carpet in the tv room which may have to replaced, because of stains caused by the water leaking through the ceiling from upstairs.

Then we will have the huge job of getting the furniture back in place; it is now stored in the garage, the downstairs bathroom, and all over the house. There are boxes of "stuff" everywhere!

And.......... guess what Himself is doing tomorrow?

He's playing golf!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 17 Jul 2013 06:52

So his finger is better then lol? Or will it play up if he is needed to lift anything heavy?

O.h. is still having problems with his thumb, altho it's getting easier he says. At least he can ride his bike now and leave me the car.

Hope the carpet layer turns up and you get at least one more room straight.

Lizx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 17 Jul 2013 07:02

Hi PSD I hope your OH is wearing a helmet these days!

OH's finger is better :-D It must be, because every time someone comes to do work downstairs, he drags the tv cabinet (including the tv) into the garage, then has to drag it back the next day. I wouldn't be bothered.

His cough is worse! The doc sent him for an MRI on Monday, he goes back to the doc tomorrow. It looks like something is lodged in his lung :-( , if so he will have to go to hospital & get some type of medical vacuum cleaner stuck down his gob to suck it out! eeeewwwwww

The carpet layer came this morning......... nice man, did a good job....... after he left I went upstairs, and noticed he didn't do one room! Arrrrrgh! But he has to come back, because nobody told him he had to put new carpet on the floors of the wardrobes...... problem is, I don't know his surname or his 'phone number.

Now we're waitng for the carpet cleaners. No point in putting furniture back until that's done. It's worse now, our bed is now next to the window, the dresser & bedside cabinets are on the landing.

I'd run away if I had the energy :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 17 Jul 2013 11:20

arrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Ten minutes ago..........

I'd just finished vacuuming the floors I can get to........thought I'd light a nice smelly candle........

Just the spot for it......... my dresser, which is sitting on the top landing (instead of in the bedroom)..........

I forgot...........

On the ceiling ABOVE the dresser............

There is a SMOKE DETECTOR!!!!!

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!!!!!!!!!!

Blew out candle, rushed to find something....... anything........ a magazine....... frantically waving it around to stop the BEEP BEEP BEEP!!!

Meanwhile.......... OH is downstairs, on the sofa in front of the tv.......... shouting........WHAT ARE YOU DOING????????

Grrrrr!!

I am doing nothing strenuous tonight ~ I'll be playing with the computer or reading my kindle!

I need chocolate.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 18 Jul 2013 06:59

Oh yes, Chocolate does the trick usually doesn't it? Most nights I am almost pushing o.h. up the stairs so I can get the chocolate out, cos he will have driven me nuts by that time and the only thing that will calm me is Chocolate!

What a day you had, and fancy the carpet fitter not finishing the job, poor communication somewhere there. I do hope he returns soon and the other works are finished so you can get straight at last.

Yes, o.h. diligently wears his helmet when riding his bike. Now I have to push my son into getting one and wearing it, I gave him the money for his birthday to buy one and that was a week ago. I feel he is tempting fate not to wear one. He always had one when young, but as he got older wouldn't wear it. I wish they were compulsory.

Hope you managed to get some quiet time to yourself

Lizx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 18 Jul 2013 08:20

PSD ~ I think I mentioned on anther thread ~ I was surprised (and shocked) when I found out that wearing helmets isn't compulsory in the UK.

OH isn't happy, he has to make an appointment with the hospital, to get the chicken bit out of his lung! I have a vision of an medical Electrolux..... with a looooooong hose.

I'm not happy, because he's playing golf this weekend, Saturday AND Sunday!! Ah well, that will be my "quet time".

Still waiting for the carpet cleaner to 'phone. Maybe it's a good thing he won't be coming tomorrow, because I'd be so cheesed off at the weekend!!

Last night, after vacuuming etc etc, OH was on the landing & noticed a chip in one of the tiles! So we're not happy about that either. No idea when it happened, obviously one of the tradesmen put down something heavy. The insurance company 'phoned this morning to talk about the carpet stuff, so I mentioned the chipped tile to them; and this afternoon we got a 'phone call from the co-ordinator of the tradies, he wants to come and look at it! This will be interesting, because he's the one who tried to intimidate me.... I hope he remembers that it won''t work. He'll try to say it must have been us. How? The heaviest thing we've put on the floor would be the vacuum cleaner! We have spare tiles, so Mr Intimidation will have to get one of his "blokes" here to replace the cracked one.... and while he's here he can redo the grout on the bottom steps that got washed out. Yeah right.

btw ~ OH has already bought the box of Roses chocolates :-D

Forget the diet :-0

Edit: A few hours later........ carpet cleaner 'phoned. He will be here on Tuesday!

WHOOPEE!! :-D