General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Keep the treasury axe away from the army's horses

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 15 Jun 2013 09:39

I hope that Danny Alexander the Chief Secretary to the Treasury is not suggesting the army get rid of their horses :-|

Tourism contributes millions of pounds to our economy and ceremonial events such as, The State Opening of Parliament, The Trooping of the Colour, Royal Weddings, State Funerals, and other State occasions, involve the mounted branches of some of our most famous regiments, they attract hundreds of thousands of spectators, and in my opinion any move to get rid of these regiments horses would be a false economy - do you agree ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2341686/Danny-Alexander-The-Army-horses-tanks.html

The Army has more horses than tanks, says Treasury minister who insists there is 'plenty of room' for more defence savings

Mr Alexander, who is charged with finding £11.5billion in cuts for the year 2015-16, responded by saying: "Of course in a department that has more horses than it has tanks, there is room for efficiency savings without affecting our overall military output, which is what we need to maintain."

Official figures show the MoD has more than 500 horses, including 417 on ceremonial duties and 82 held by the Defence Animal Centre. The Parachute Regiment also keep two ponies as mascots.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 15 Jun 2013 10:12

If we have more Horses than Tanks then what does that already say about the state of our armed forces?

We obviously don't have enough TANKS or soldiers to man them

Roy

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 15 Jun 2013 10:13

Lasagna on the menu in the mess? ;-)

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 15 Jun 2013 12:21

I hope that Danny Alexander the Chief Secretary to the Treasury is watching The Trooping of The Colour - I am - just wish I could have been there ;-)

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 15 Jun 2013 12:25

So am I ....no country does ceremony like the Brits...
Glad the weather is good for it.....this will be shown all over the world. :-)

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 15 Jun 2013 12:43

What a display of pomp and pageantry - if that does not warrant the cost of the upkeep of around 500 horses I don't know what does, it has attracted thousands of visitors to the centre of London and will be seen by millions around the world - well worth it I say :-)

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 15 Jun 2013 12:53

How I agree....there is so much waste in other areas that should be looked at.
Don't ruin our heritage.
Think it's just started to rain in London....at least it kept fine till the Queen got back to the Palace.
:-)

Merlin

Merlin Report 15 Jun 2013 13:26

Perhaps getting rid of Danny Alexander and using his wage to pay for the keep of the Horses would be a good Idea,at least they earn their keep which is more than can be said about the Government,even nwhat comes out of their rear end can be used for growing roses. :-D

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 15 Jun 2013 13:35

Merlin - much of the utterances that come out of their mouths could also be used for growing roses ;-)

Merlin

Merlin Report 15 Jun 2013 13:40

Ah but they don,t talk through their Mouths Do They? :-D

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 15 Jun 2013 14:39

Danny Alexander & George Osborne

Are they not the two faces when seen that give you the urge to slap them, just to remove the smug looks......

Both despicable men.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 15 Jun 2013 15:37

DazedConfused - that's the ones - and the most senior of the two, not only appears smug, he also gives me the impression that he his sneering at everyone when he speaks, in my book the good old Scottish word "sleekit" describes him to a tee ;-)

sleekit = crafty, deceitful, sly

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 15 Jun 2013 19:34

smarmy is another that springs to mind.....