General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hand cream, body lotion etc

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 22 Sep 2013 12:07

I have a drawer full of such products.

They mainly came from Avon from their "bargain" bags and or where part of a gift set.

I am never going to use them so wondered if they will be okay to give to a charity shop.

But they are not recent purchases so does this type of product go off if not opened ?

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 22 Sep 2013 12:24

I don't know, but none of my things have sell-by/use-by dates, so probably OK.

Ask your local pharmacist - they should know.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 22 Sep 2013 12:34

Good idea

That is the problem with no dates on anything.

I do not want to give them away if they could cause problems to anyone by using them.

Would rather throw them out then risk it.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Sep 2013 12:48

there's usually a little symbol - a pot with an open lid and say 12 mths by it

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Sep 2013 12:54

They are good for cleaning leather.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 22 Sep 2013 12:58

If they have no "use by" dates on them and are unopened - they are usually welcome additions for tombolas at charity fundraising functions

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 22 Sep 2013 13:46

GB,I have just give a load of hand creams and body lotion to the charity shop.
They are going to put them in the next Tombola..

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 22 Sep 2013 16:41

Think your best bet would be a homeless charity. They urgently need these kind of products. Especially at Christmas, when they have those 3/4 days when they get the homeless in, clean them up, get them seen by Doctors and Dentists.

Hope this helps.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 22 Sep 2013 19:21

GlitterBaby check out Saga Charitable Trust, This is the type of thing that will actually be shipped out to the orphanages rather than some shop selling it and the charity only getting part of the money.

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend Report 22 Sep 2013 19:50

Women's refuges are always grateful for any feminine toiletries as long as they are unopened.

Lesley x

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 22 Sep 2013 20:13

Some great ideas

One of the local churches has a fete this coming Saturday and wanted tombola items.

Not heard of any homeless shelters in my local area. There is one that wants people to give a room to a homeless teenager.

Will have to give this a bit more thought

Thanks guys