General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Petrol prices

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Sep 2013 09:27

Petrol wars are driving down the price of fuel on the forecourt as two supermarkets announced they were cutting the cost by up to 2p per litre.

Asda announced that from Tuesday it would be taking 2p a litre off the price of petrol and 1p off a litre of diesel.

The supermarket said the cuts would mean that no one would pay more than 131.7p a litre for petrol and 137.7p for diesel.

It had already cut prices by 2p on petrol and 1p on diesel last week.

Asda's announcement was followed shortly by a similar statement from Tesco, which said it would be reducing its petrol by "up to 2p per litre" and cutting the price of diesel by 1p.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 24 Sep 2013 09:43

Tesco headline price today south coast 138.9p/l 95 octane.
They offer vouchers with 5p off if you buy groceries - usually £ 40/60.

Forward prices of gas/oil for this winter are not encouraging.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 24 Sep 2013 11:05

Just by coincidence, the two pop-ups on this thread are advertising hotels in Chester. Now I wonder if they are both as wonderful as they look ;-)

Like Rollo, I am not optimistic, Ann. Supermarkets have played around with petrol prices for many years to 1. gain customer loyalty 2. put local petrol stations out of business so we have to travel quite a distance to get a fair petrol price.

Same tack with out of town superstores. Town centres usually die. And free buses soon go. Treorchy are currently fighting a Tesco application but, to be honest, the large Asda in Llwynypia has already started to drain life blood out of Treorchy, so we might as well lie back and think of Tesco :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Sep 2013 11:13

We signed up to a petrol price weekly alert, not that we take much notice of it as there is rarely any difference. You'd use the cost of the fuel saved by driving to the cheapest on. (petrolprices.com)

Today's alert gives a price of £133.9 for the 3 closest supermarket petrol stations - Sainsbury's, Morrison's and Asda. There isn't a Tesco one nearby.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Sep 2013 11:15

last time I filled up - a Micra - the cost was more than we paid for our first car :-D

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 24 Sep 2013 11:19

Aberdare is about 10 miles from Rhondda (20 mile rounds trip) and has cheapest petrol in this area (usually about 3p a litre cheaper).

I know people who travel to Aberdare just to fill up. They put 50 litres in, save £1.50 and it costs them about £3 extra in petrol - double that if you add on wear and tear etc.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 24 Sep 2013 11:59

No way would I go out of my way just to gain a couple P,off petrol,If the garage that ALWAYS has petrol a couple of pence cheaper I will wait for the day that I actually can go past it.....while on a way to my club.....there are two ways, one is rural, and the other through town...........the town one is where the petrol is.....if I need a top up, I go to the nearest,

The car I drive,a '03 1.8 Picasso,has a on board consumption trip.........last weekend I filled up, and with 8 miles on the clock and 28.5 mpg went on a 124 mile trip.P'boro-felixstowe
it went upto around 35 mpg, from there I made a short 37-ish miles journey,felixstowe-walton and stayed overnight, and next day came home another 140-ish miles, Walton-P'boro ,by watching the live consumption, which at times went upto around 80+mpg I got home and the recorded average was 41.8 mpg. a couple of days later I filled up........with close on 10.5 gallons of fuel and 305 miles on the trip clock.

now is something telling porkies? cos that seems to me to be a measly 30 mpg........
Bob

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 24 Sep 2013 12:48

The main problem is many supermarkets do not have any standardisation in their petrol pricing.

My local Sainsburys at Greenwich is cheaper than the Sainsburys at New Cross.

And the pricing in London and the Home Counties if often up to 2/3p more than the national standard in many supermarkets.

And the independants are a nightmare.

Just a mile or so from my Sainsburys in Greenwich there is an independant petrol station which charges up to 4p a litre more, yet still people go in there, why????

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 24 Sep 2013 14:06

Not everybody likes spending 15 minutes and up to buy petrol. Independents are often much quicker and if the lost time comes out of your earnings an extra 4p is not important.

Another advantage of going to independent petrol stations it that their CCTV cameras are not linked into the national ANPR system as are most of the major chains and supermarkets. For some people that is important.