General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 register

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mike

Mike Report 9 Nov 2015 15:39

I followed the link on this and found the results confusing. My mother is listed there with her married name but she didn't marry until 1941

What is the provenance of this archive and is it worth subscribing?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Nov 2015 15:42

It's because it was updated in the 1990's as it was used as the basis for the set up of the NHS post ww2

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Nov 2015 15:45

Both my sister and I are at the house of our evacueated foster parents and are withheld .
However my sister was born in 1931 and died in 2002 but her record hasn't been updated so she doesn't show

Fortunately. I am aware we were billeted together and am still in touch with the daughter of my foster parenst who was born after WW2

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Nov 2015 16:04

The provenance is good. It's up to you to decide if you feeling it's worth purchasing credits.

You can work out other names in the household without paying, but if you want their declared dob, occupation and address, you do need to pay.

There are several other threads about the 1939 register. If you have the opportunity to read through them, the discussions may answer any queries.

The longest one is
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1355773

Also http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1356020
There are others.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Nov 2015 16:13

A work-around from one of the other threads

If you know the name of one person at an address, try this.

Put no name in the blanks for the person you are searching for.

Put in the borough/district if you know it, and the street name if you know it.

In the blanks for the name of another person living at the address, put the name of the person you know to be in the household. Do the search.

The results will give you the name of the person whose name you entered, plus the name and yob of any other people in the household (whose records are not officially closed).

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 9 Nov 2015 17:41

Just entering a birth date and area may be be of interest to some.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 9 Nov 2015 17:48

I did as Det has suggested and put in street name and borough and the name of someone I knew was in the household and found some of the family I expected to be living there plus a name I hadn't come across before. So I now have to try and find out who was the mystery lady - was she just renting a room off the family or was she related in some way.

Every answer seems to raise another question :-D

Inky1

Inky1 Report 9 Nov 2015 19:32

Received the following email from FMP today.(I guess other FMP subscribers have?) And it's not the first one. They seem to be doing a hard sell. So far I have, like other GR members, found all I have looked for with the free searches. Maybe it won't be long before the price drops?

We’re getting in touch to let you know a little bit more about the 1939 Register, and just how significant the document is to modern British history.

Without the information collected in the 1939 Register – some 41 million names in England and Wales – the British government simply couldn’t have co-ordinated the war effort at home. The Register was used to issue identity cards, organise rationing and arrange conscription. Now, only on Findmypast, you can access this vital resource for the first time.

If you’re wondering how to go about unlocking a record in the 1939 Register, it couldn’t be simpler.

Watch our how-to video below for a step-by-step guide to get started. Or if you can't find who you're looking for in the 1939 Register, pop over to our handy tips page to help you with your search.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 9 Nov 2015 19:39

I have had 9 emails from them in as many days :-0