General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Brenda Joyce TEKARE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BOB

BOB Report 14 Jun 2016 13:14

My wife of 39 years passed away 4 months ago from Pulmonary Fibrosis; We are trying to put together a history of her life too hand down to our grandson. In April 1971 when 18 she moved from Perth and lived in Sydney for 6 months on a working holiday. Her childhood friend Margaret JACKSON was with her however she got home sick and returned to Perth at the end of April. Originally the girls were provided with a room by a taxi driver name Eric and his wife named Grace/Daphne and the couple had two young sets of twins. The wife is believed to have lived at Rotorua House located at 20 Spring street Bondi Junction and on May 18th she commenced work as a telephonist with the PMG at a Sydney telephone exchanges. Her address book lists a Brenda Joyce TEKARE who was living at Wardell st., Dulwich Hill as a workmate/friend. Brenda moved and was living in Wanstead ave St George according to 1977 electoral role.. I have been unable to find any further info on her current location. Brenda possibly aged in her mid to late 60's. She may have married or moved interstate/overseas. No deaths in Aust recorded under her surname. Information on those working for the PMG difficult to find and any details for Brenda or other persons who may have worked at the PMG with my wife most appreciated. I will be on line for another 30 minutes

Rambling

Rambling Report 14 Jun 2016 13:34

Welcome to the boards Bob, I'm sorry for your loss.

This post would be better on the 'Find Living Relatives' board really as this board is for general chat. It would help also if you put 'Australia' in the heading, as there are a number of helpers on the FLR board with local knowledge perhaps.

Have you checked the White Pages? I can only see one entry for a Te Kare in NSW?

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 14 Jun 2016 13:43

Welcome to GR Bob.

She appears on the 1972 Electoral Roll...........but I don't have access.

Australia, Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980?
Census & Electoral Rolls
Name: Brenda Joyce Tekare
Residence: 1972 - city, St George, New South Wales, Australia

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Jun 2016 13:43

What a lovely tribute to your wife.

The Ask a Librarian service might be able to help by searching the electoral rolls for Brenda, until she married, if she did.
Its possible that the Te Kare entry in the white pages is a relation of some description and would be worth contacting.

BOB

BOB Report 14 Jun 2016 13:46

Thanks for the response, advice and your kind words. I have been told that men never expect to be windowed yet women often speak of the chance of loosing their spouse. I really feel for anyone going through such a loss, words cannot describe the hurt. I was uncertain where something like my requested fitted. Is it possible to have it moved to the recommend board? Yes the spelling in the phone book is different but I have managed to contact the person named and she is going to check with relatives in NZ as there is a possibility they may be able to assist. I found Genes united via an old request headed OLD PMG TELEPHONIST or similar however the responses were about 8 years ago .

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 14 Jun 2016 13:58

Hi Bob

All you need to do is click on the "Find Living Relatives" board and repost it on there.

When you have done that.........just add on this thread that you have reposted on the "Find Living Relatives" board......or, just delete this one.

Sorry for your loss.

Good luck with your search..........Prickles.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Jun 2016 13:59

A work collegue's wife died last week. He's in his early 60's, so probably about the same age as you. He's in 'bits'. As you imply, all of us in a happy relationship assume we're going to grow old together and feel angry if fate takes a hand.

Hopefully the lady in the phone book will make some progress on your behalf and that you'll eventually make contact with Brenda. x

BOB

BOB Report 14 Jun 2016 14:21

Thank you everyone I really appreciate the time an effort people put in to assist me.
I have moved it over as suggested to the FIND LIVING RELATIVES board. Also the other entry I have found and it was titled GPO TELEPHONISTS. I will endeavour to see if those who posted on that matter maybe able to assist.as some appear to have been around in the 70's working in Sydney with the PMG.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Jun 2016 15:04

New thread - brief summary of suggestions from here added + the link to the GPO thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1360478