General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hello xx

Page 0 + 1 of 27

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 21 Feb 2018 11:21

This is what it looks like - no mention of smell so perhaps you have to be very close

https://www.spain-holiday.com/Spain/articles/the-magic-of-the-almond-blossom-in-spain

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 21 Feb 2018 11:17

Never been near enough to it, the trees are on someone's land Ann. The orange blossom is strong and gives me a headache if I get near, we have a small tree and live near an orange grove.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Feb 2018 11:12

Ooh I like the sound of almond blossom, does it smell as nice as it sounds?

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 21 Feb 2018 10:55

I used to regularly travel near Batsford Ann, quite a while ago though.

Used to be just outside the village of Upavon Wilts. Used to travel to one of the army camps and get a coach on a Friday, if I was going home. The coach went through Marlborough, Lechlade, Burford, Bourton on the Water, Stow on the Wold, on the A429 past Batsford into Stratford upon Avon and onto Birmingham. Lovely trip but sometimes in summer it was painfully slow.

Weather here like UK spring, sunny 19 C and the almond and orange blossom appearing. :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Feb 2018 17:09

Joan how lovely to see a Buzzard so close up, did you have a camera ready? Your garden will look better for its tidy I'm sure but it must be frustrating not to be able to get out there youraelf.

We had a lovely run out across the Cotswolds to Batsford. Unfortunately the sun wasn't shining but the views were very clear and the hedges were full of trees with Catkins so spring really must be on the way. we met up with five others from the U3A Garden visits group fot coffee in the restaurant there.

The Arboretum had its spring coat on too, masses of lovely little snowdrops, quite a lot of early daffodils with the promise of many more to come and also Helebores, crocus, some not fully out and yellow aconites There were even buds on some of the magnolia trees, surprising because the Arboretum is quite high. This time we stopped half way round to look in the lovely little church in Batsford village. This where some of the older generation of the Mitford family is buried. (None of the girls are buried here though.) The Mitford family lived in Batsford house in the early 20th century.
After we had finished walking round we drove into Moreton in Marsh and had lunch in Fosseway Garden centre. T and I had really nice fish and chips.

David

David Report 20 Feb 2018 16:34

Thank you Barbra, Thinking of exciting things like having a haircut and my toe nails seen to, otherwise I'm champion.

<3 <3 Fly <3 <3

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 20 Feb 2018 16:28

Good afternoon everyone, LOVELY sunny day here, hubby has been into the garden today & done a bit of tidying up.

He's clipped the Rugosa hedge, trimmed a Cotoneaster that was growing over a wall, & taken out a narrow but tallish corner frame that has a Clematis growing up it, the framework had broken & was lying on the ground so needed to be dealt with.
The Clematis is still in place in the ground but will require a new frame to climb up.

I would have loved to have been working in the garden as well but not able for that for a while! though things are a easier than they were the back of the ribs is still uncomfortable when moving around!
A lot of pulling & tugging going on around the ribs & shoulder blade.

Had the pleasure of a Buzzard in the garden earlier, he was sitting on a fence post close to the back door, such a lovely bird.
Also had several Roe Deer visit over the past few days,they seem to like the field next to the house & also the small wood that runs along the bottom of the same field. Lovely sight.

Joan.

Barbra

Barbra Report 20 Feb 2018 11:08

See you next week ,Take Care Joan .Ann G & anyone who looks in Barbara xx :-) :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Feb 2018 12:29

Hello all, although some people in our village felt the earthquake we didn't feel anything at all (felt quite cheated!!).

Joan I am pleased that your snowdrops are out lovely to see them and they brighten up the dull rainy days we have been getting lately.

Tomorrow we are hoping to go to Batsford arboretum where the snowdrops should be out, unfortunately the forecast is not good so we may be rained off.

Barbra

Barbra Report 19 Feb 2018 12:21

Hello anyone who looks in damp day here but warmer than of late .just got local shop today need another front door key cut ..Joan .Ann G Dermot..Fly David <3 :-) Take Care :-)

Barbra

Barbra Report 17 Feb 2018 16:42

Hello seen were earthquake has effected a lot of people we don't get many & always just small shakes .not nice though remember once was in bed & it shook .small tremor in the area .only for a few seconds but unpleasant ..cold but been a bright day here .off to sort tea out <3 <3 Thinking of Fly <3 <3 Barbara

Barbra

Barbra Report 16 Feb 2018 22:27

No win tonight :-\ Hey Maybe Saturday everything crossed ;-)

David

David Report 16 Feb 2018 17:36

You're right Pat, Down the years Barbra co-starred with Frank Sinatra, Robert Michum, and a lot other super stars, then Raymond Burr.

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 16 Feb 2018 15:31

Hello everyone, my how nice to see so many have added to the thread!

I'm coming along slowly, not so much pain now but still have some discomfort! & so I am being really careful, I am so afraid of falling or bumping into things.
Bathing is the worst thing! we only have a bath but I can't sit down! I am having to stand up & share the bath with a stool which has a bowl of water on top of it! all rather primitive but better than nothing! LOL.

Ann....... we have lots of Snowdrops on show, the garden is awash with them, they are sooo pretty, so pleased to hear that yours have taken & that you hubby is impressed, they are a lovely flower.

We have got a lovely sunny day here, in fact we have had some rather nice days recent;y, cold but very pleasant for the time of year, we had a dusting of snow the other day but it didn't last, thank goodness, there's still plenty of time for snow/bad weather but the longer we go the better it should be!!

Soon be tea-time, the usual Fish & Chips today, taking a bit longer to prepare etc at the moment but between us we manage.
Hope everyone will have a nice weekend,take care if out & about.

Joan.

Barbra

Barbra Report 16 Feb 2018 14:18

Hello all the competition is only some tickets for euro million tonight if I win you will all be getting a surprise x if I live as long as Barbara Hale will be happy as long as I can still drive hmm on the road & know were I am going .get my sat Nav on should get back home as well . ;-) <3 watching the Coroner now on BBC One & having a cuppa .love the scenery anyone know were its filmed ? Barbara x :-D :-D

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 16 Feb 2018 13:27

No that was Rosalind Russell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyX0x7HeSuE

David

David Report 16 Feb 2018 12:50

Thank you Pat and Ann, I think she played the stripper's Mother in GYPSY

(Let me entertain you ;-))

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Feb 2018 12:18

David, yes I remember her, she was attractive, used to enjoy Perry Mason, bet it would seem very dated now. Although I recently enjoyed watching the old Bergerac series.

Barbara, good luck in whatever competition you are going in for. And enjoy your break next week.

Hello Pat, good to see you back on here.

Hope Joan is ok. Are your snowdrops up yet Joan? My OH is most impressed with the ones you sent to me. <3

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 16 Feb 2018 12:00

David she was Barbara Hale died in her nineties January last year.

Son William Katt played the private eye Paul Drake Jnr. in the later series in the 1980s.

David

David Report 16 Feb 2018 11:36

Long ago, when I was young, I used to fancy an actress who played Perry Mason's secretary. Think she was called Barbara.