General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hello xx

Page 0 + 1 of 25

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChristmasMyAxxE

ChristmasMyAxxE Report 9 Dec 2017 14:18

Hi Ann, thanks for the hug, & pain free!
According to the nhs site damaged ribs are not usually strapped any more because it restricts the lungs which can lead to an infection! & they don't always do rib xrays either!

Ibuprofen & Paracetamol are the 2 painkillers recommended, I can't swallow paracetamol they are too big & dry, even breaking them in half doesn't help, they always get stuck in my throat!

Ibuprofen are much easier to swallow, I can actually take the shiny oval shaped ones without a drink.
I don't take painkillers very often & I'm not on any other medication & it "worries" me to be taking them now as often as suggested.

Will just have to take one day at a time! fingers crossed the pain will cease very soon, & I can get back to how things were prior to the fall.
Thankyou for your reply, take care.

Joan.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Dec 2017 12:50

Oh dear Joan, I have not had personal experience but I do believe that ribs take a while to heal. I think hospitals sometimes strap them, or they used to so the main thing is not straining them too much. I assume the pain stops you doing that. Have you tried paracetamol instead of ibrofen for the pain? the doctor would probably give you a stronger pain killer like Cocodomole, it may be that Ibrofen is not the right type of medicine for that type of pain. I do feel that you should really see a GP now as it is a couple of weeks. You could ask him/her not to touch your ribs but it would sort out the medication. It certainly sounds enough to make anyone miserable.
Hope hubby can wrap the parcels and maybe post them too for you.

Wish I could think of something to cheer you up but the weather is not helping or the time of year, so dark when the sun doesn't shine and so cold. Maybe you can find something on TV to occupy your mind, I wouldn't recommend watching a comedy though as that won't help your ribs if it makes you laugh.

Sorry you are feeling rough Joan, sending you a virtual ((((hug)))) because that won't hurt you. <3 <3 <3

ChristmasMyAxxE

ChristmasMyAxxE Report 9 Dec 2017 10:14

Hi girls, well here I am still hobbling around, still in some pain & VERY miserable!
really fed up at the moment,things are not getting any easier & I don't know what to do with myself.
I am reluctant to go to the DRs as I know they won't do anything other than offer stronger painkillers! I would not want anyone touching my rib area so as to diagnose the problem as it it sooo painful, I can barely do that myself! & I am not able to lie down which would make having an xray rather difficult!
Even hubby is afraid to give me a hug in case he hurts me

I am having a problem getting comfy in my armchair & my feet/ankles are swelling!
I "think" that the swelling is because of the many Ibuprofen I am taking? reading about Ibuprofen it says this can happen, never ever had swollen ankles before & I do not like it! I am not one for taking pills either but i need something for the pain at the moment!

I am trying really hard not to be miserable etc as I know there are some out there who are much worse off than me but oh my it's hard going.
Right I'm changing the subject now.

We have some snow & it has laid so that's not so good, the weather forecasts were rather scary a couple of days ago but storm Caroline never really materialised in our area!! so that was a blessing.

We have got a couple of Christmas cards this week & so maybe I should get out my cards & get them written out! not in the mood really but will have to show willing.
Our card list is much shorter than it once was so shouldn't take long to do them, it saddens me to see how many family members & friends have gone from our lives over the years!

I have some parcels to wrap for the grandchildren but I think hubby will have to do that this time! I need to get 2 of the parcels in the post on Monday for 2 grandchilden that live in Northumberland, hope the P Office isn't too busy by then!

Well Barbara & Ann I reckon I have said more than enough, time to move away from the PC & do a little walking around! I hope I haven't bored you with my rabbiting on!
I do hope that you both have a nice weekend, please do take care if you are out & about, talk again soon.

Joan.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Dec 2017 16:39

Ah Joan you have your Christmas name up. Haven't changed mine as yet. all cards written and some posted - I have so many that I like to get some of them on their way to make space. We have already received four cards.

Been clearing all breakables out of the way as we have our little demolition merchant coming for a couple of hours tomorrow. Our Great granddaughter I nara is worse than any boy, at 17 months she is into everything. Be nice to see her though.

ChristmasMyAxxE

ChristmasMyAxxE Report 2 Dec 2017 16:34

Hello.
Thanks for your good wishes girls, i had another long lie today but not sure if it was the right thing to do! my rib area is rather uncomfortable today & painkillers are not working that well.
I had thought things might be a "bit" easier by now!

Making a meal is the worst thing, hubby is not really good at cooking but he is trying his best to help, thank goodness he's an expert with food preparation & washing up! LOL.
At least the house is warm again, so much more pleasant going to bed last night.

Well girls that's about as much typing as I can manage just now so I will say cheerio, have a nice weekend & take care.

Joan.

Barbra

Barbra Report 2 Dec 2017 11:22

Joan well you have had problems you say in threes but you don't deserve it .honestly after your fall that was enough .please take care & will be thinking of you both get your jobs done asap Best wishes .Ann its mild today its been raining off & on managed some shopping .so at least cupboards are looking healthy .do you know haven't written one card yet they are on my desk ready to start address book stamps as well .so better get started his weekend .Bye for now Barbara :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Dec 2017 21:06

Oh dear Joan, I hope that is the end of your bad luck now and that your bruises etc will soon heal. Hopefully at least you are warm again and you now have a full cupboard. Thinking of you, stay safe.

Barbara take care these frosty mornings. We have been quite lucky as the frost has cleared early because the sun has shone. My car has been iced up but we are lucky as we have OHs car dry in the garage so we take that.

I have now written all mr cards and stamped them so can get them in the post.

ChristmasMyAxxE

ChristmasMyAxxE Report 1 Dec 2017 20:11

Good evening, bit late in the day adding to the thread but I had a VERY long lie today, I was really comfy & decided on staying in bed for several reasons!
Firstly to rest my damaged body, secondly because of 2 things that happend yesterday before & after we went out to do the weekly shopping!

We had snow yesterday & it was VERY cold here, but it was the weekly shop day,& we needed groceries, hubby woke me up at 9-00 as usual & then went on to tell me that there was a problem with the central heating & he had had to switch it off & phone the engineer, great start to the day!

Anyway off to Morrisons we went, bit of a struggle for me but I managed, we didn't stay out for long & though we knew the house would be rather cold without the heating it would be nice to get back home!

When we stepped into the kitchen we were greeted by a large puddle of water on the kitchen floor!! looking up we saw water dripping through the ceiling, obviously the H W tank which is situated in the bathroom which is above the kitchen was leaking,

So there we were, me falling to pieces, no heating & a leaking tank!
The house was freezing, but our usual heating engineer phoned to say he would manage to call today, our daughter contacted a plumber that she knows & he came round to see what was required re the H W tank.

We looked a right pair last night both of us swathed in several blankets each to keep warm, thank goodness for the electric blanket in the bed.

Thankfully the heating problem wasn't too serious & was fixed in 1/2 an hour, the H W tank needs replacing but the plumber cannot do the job before Tuesday IF the new tank arrives before then!

So 2 extra bills to deal with, not sure what the heating bill will be but the tank job is going to cost somewhere between £500 / £600 including the tank, labour & vat!
never rains but is pours!

They do say things come in threes & it's certainly true for us this time.

Joan / Amokavid

Barbra

Barbra Report 1 Dec 2017 08:57

Good Morning Joan & Ann .hope you are alright today did you get your shopping Joan take it easy look after yourself x really cold again today .no snow just very frosty on the west side .of Scotland .waiting till it thaws a bit & then going shopping .just having my Breakfast first ..keep warm enjoy your Weekend Barbara (.we have baubles on GR have you noticed )xx

ChristmasMyAxxE

ChristmasMyAxxE Report 29 Nov 2017 15:39

Hi Barbara & Ann.
So pleased that you have had good news Barbara regarding your health, you must be feeling much better for that.
Not much improvement re my rib pain, couldn't get comfy in bed last night & after about an hour I just had to get up & sit in my armchair, I took more Ibuprofen & went back to bed at around 6-30, managed to get settled & got a bit of sleep.

Bruises come & go with each day! & an ankle has swollen up today!!

We had more rain today, so much rain recently, the sun comes out for a few minutes then it rains again! hubby says everything in the garden is sooo wet & there are lots of big puddles everywhere.

Nearly tea-time once again,but not sure what to have! it's a good job there is hubby to feed otherwise I don't think I would bother to make anything at the moment, between the 2 of us we have rustle up something but it's a chore just now.

Well enough of my moaning, best be off & see what exciting things we have left in the cupboard, shopping day tomorrow what a thought!
Will say bye for now, chat again soon, take care.

Joan.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Nov 2017 13:03

Oh dear Joan, what a shame that the wedding day was spoiled for you. I am sure that your daughter was worried as well. It sounds really painful. It does sound as if you have cracked a rib, if the pain gets worse instead of better (which I hope it won't) you really ought to seek medical advice. Would it help to immobilise the arm on the side of the cracked rib, that way you won't be tempted to move it too much. You are such an active person that I am sure, besides being painful, it is frustrating for you. Sounds like all you can do is rest. I hope you will feel better soon.

Barbara, good news re your results, that is an early Christmas present for you. Horrible waiting for results of tests and scans. Glad that is over for you.

Very frosry here this morning but sunny and dry now, very cold wind though. Been shopping this morning, Half pork lef half price so £2.50 in Tesco, can't complain at that. We also bought our frozen turkey, we only have a small one for the two of us so got it early as the small ones sometimes sell out. So that is in the freezer now. :-) :-)

Barbra

Barbra Report 29 Nov 2017 12:32

Hello its a cold & frosty day but sun out so cant grumble .had results no cancer another mammogram 12months I am very relieved xx Ann hope you are alright Joan hope you are improving each day just take it easy if you can having some lunch & then not doing a lot today just a quick tidy Bye .Barbara :-)

ChristmasMyAxxE

ChristmasMyAxxE Report 27 Nov 2017 22:57

Hi Barbara, it was quite a day!
Not been able or felt like using the computer, getting in & out of the chairs is not pleasant & have needed hubby to help me, have been in my Dr gown most days as dressing is not easy!

If the rib pain would go away things would be much easier,but it's taking it's time!
I have to hold my arm against the ribs as I'm scared of doing more damage, coughing & sneezing is really horrible!
I would dearly love to have a long soak in the bath but I have difficulty getting out of the bath when under normal circumstances so there's no way I can get into the bath at the moment! I would never be able to get out of it safely!!

Well it's time for a painkiller & settle back into my armchair, talk again soon.

Joan.

Barbra

Barbra Report 27 Nov 2017 22:29

Oh Joan that's awful so sorry to read about your fall .bet you were glad to get home must have felt a very long day the wedding sounds as though it was alright & you will have good memories of it before falling x .Take Care get better soon look after yourself .Barbara <3 Maybe a GP visit to make sure your leg is okay & ribs

ChristmasMyAxxE

ChristmasMyAxxE Report 27 Nov 2017 22:13

Hello to everyone, so very sorry not to have been here sooner bu I shall now explain why!

Well we managed to get to the wedding (17th) we went via the back roads which took longer but we knew they would be quieter than the main road! the main roan would have been chocka at 7-00am AND also with some serious road works going on & still dark at that time we didn't fancy that road.

Had to turn back after about an hour into the journey when we came upon a road closure! we got a bit lost after that but eventually found a way to get back to the road we needed to be on!

After reaching the hotel where our daughter etc was we eventually set off in the bridal car for the castle (a 20 mins drive) where the ceremony was to take place.
The ceremony was lovely apart from the Registrar who in my opinion spoilt things with her rather loud / raucious voice! my was she LOUD!

The weather was quite nice, sunny but cold & frosty.

Next step after the ceremony was to get back to the hotel for refreshments prior to having the meal, on our way out of the castle there was to be a photo session before leaving.
So we all started to file out, our 2 sons,hubby & I were the last out & all the other guests were already standing on the exterior flight of steps waiting for us, hubby & I set off down the steps & when I stepped off the bottom step onto some sloping cobbles I took a VERY nasty fall!!!

My leg doubled up & wrenched really badly, my shoe heel broke, & I fell backwards slamming my back into one of the granite steps, I winded myself sooo badly I couldn't breathe properly & was making an awful "breathing" noise!
I could hear hubby asking if I was ok & sounding really worried & upset, eventually my breathing came right & I was able to speak but my word the pain was excruciating,
The ground was icy & freezing & when I was able to get up someone got me a chair & blankets, tea was offered but I declined, I didn't want an ambulance either!!

So from then on it all seemed to go pear shaped! I managed to stand for some photos but I really just wanted to go home but stayed for the meal, after the meal was finished we just had to go home,I was really not feeling good & had a lot of pain in my leg.
In the days that have followed I have had various bruises come up, a huge one on my twisted leg, & some along my back, & I "think" I may have cracked a rib??
I heard a crack sound in the rib area when I was lying in bed that night & it has been really painful since!

Bruises are fading but rib pain is still quite sore & uncomfortable! I am taking Ibuprofen every 4 hours & they do help for a while.
No point going to Drs as they don't do anything with damaged ribs & I'm loathe to sit in A & E for a few hours only to be told take painkillers & rest! I'm doing that already.

So a day to remember! in more ways than one!

Joan.

So that was how things went at the wedding,

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 26 Nov 2017 18:32

:-D :-D :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 26 Nov 2017 16:52

Dear Ann you are not boring .its just threads don't move much .worded it wrongly x you sound very busy ..Joan hasn't been about I was hoping all alright with her & family ..off for a cuppa :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 26 Nov 2017 16:30

Forgot to say, Joan where are you, how did the wedding go, do tell us. :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 26 Nov 2017 16:28

Oh are we boring you Barbra, sorry that you won't be posting. shall chat to myself then, seems Pat started a trend. Well what have I been doing this weekend? Nothing exciting, yesterday we had a 40% off voucher for Beefeater pub restaurants so we treated ourself to lunch, shared duck pate, then each had sirloin steak, bacon, triple cooked chips, mushroom with mushroom sauce, then shared Christmas pudding and it was all delicious. Sainsbury's had 25% off all clothes so I got some rust coloured cord leggings (to wear indoors over Christmas and a rust polo neck sweater. Today we popped to the local small garden centre/nursery for coffee, the cafe there today which is not their normal cafe - that doesn't open on Sundays- thsi one is run by and for the special needs students who attend The Butterfly Garden, everything was £1 so two cups of coffee and a large piece of coffee walnut cake to share was £3. Cake was delicious, no wonder I can't lose weight! Not much to see there this time of year as it is more nursery than garden centre so we called in to the other one to look round and I wanted a coconut for our birds. Now Ihave wrapped four more presents (still a load to go), and have started writing my cards. (I send almost 100!).

Barbra

Barbra Report 26 Nov 2017 16:17

Will leave this on but not posting anymore .why you ask well bored is the answer .Best wishes for Christmas & New Year .Keep :-D Barbara