General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hot (or should that be 'cold') Matches.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chloe

Chloe Report 7 Oct 2016 00:36

I've seen the GR statement as to why there are no hot matches but this situation has now been on-going for several months. Also I haven't seen many stories, comments or announcements from GR for some time now either! Does anyone know what's going on - if anything? Is GR sinking?
Chloe B.

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 Oct 2016 00:56

Glug glug glug............

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Oct 2016 10:11

Hotmatches are now more precise than they used to be, so if you've put pob as The Street, Anytown, County Name, you won't necessarily be matched with Anytown, County Name or even County Name.

As Caroline implies, GR is being run on a shoe string with the majority of employees doubling up with the sister site FMP. Members who are subscribers to both have noticed that eg Support messages are signed by the same person regardless of the site they're from.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 7 Oct 2016 11:35

Hot Matches were effectively killed off a few years back when GR changed the match criteria due to (misguided in my view) lobbying by a handful of members who thought they knew better.

See the recent thread I have pushed up for some members views on the subject.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 7 Oct 2016 12:33

You can get exactly the same effect with a more reliable outcome just by doing a search on member trees. GR won't reinstate the old method.

I am glad they changed it - at one point my mailbox was utterly clogged up with hotmatch requests.

Given the level of traffic on the site I wouldn't rate the chances of a response based on a hot match as very high anyway. GR will survive so long as it is generating some revenue from sale of "credits" but pretty obviously it has "do not resuscitate" hung around its neck.

Chloe

Chloe Report 7 Oct 2016 15:40

Thanks to all you who replied. It seems to be, as I suspected, sinking. Shame really as it always seemed 'friendlier' than other sites; but I suppose it is a business and the primary aim of a business is to make money. I agree, 'Hot matches' could be a mixed blessing, but it provided me with some good lead-ins once I'd checked that they weren't false lead-ins.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Oct 2016 20:29

it seems to me that GR might well revert to what it was prior to 2007, when it did not have any records ...................

ie, a site on which to build your tree, contact other members, and get help in your researches from other members.

That help has always been the strong point.