General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sunlight

Sunlight Report 8 Jan 2017 11:11

Hi I am new to genes reunited and was just wondering if anyone has got any info on my great great great grandfather George Fitton, born in Salford round 1807.I cant seem to go any further back because his mothers maiden name isnt on his birth certificate.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Jan 2017 11:18

Welcome to the chat board Margaret. You might consider going on the Find Ancestors board where somebody may be able to help you.

Sunlight

Sunlight Report 8 Jan 2017 11:29

Hi.I am new to genes reunited and was wondering if anyone had any information about my great, great, great grandfathers parents.He was George Fitton, born in Salford Lancs round 1804.His mothers name isnt on his birth certificate.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Jan 2017 11:32

If George Fitton was born circa 1807 then there won't be a birth certificate. Civil registration only came into being in July 1837, so all you will possibly find is a baptism record.

Are you certain he was born in Salford? There is this record from 1811:-

First name(s) George
Last name Fitten
Birth year 1811
Birth date 05 Mar 1811
Baptism year 1811
Baptism date 17 Apr 1811
Place Rochdale
Denomination Wesleyan Methodist
Father's first name(s) James
Mother's first name(s) Ann
County Lancashire
Country England
The National Archives reference TNA/RG/4/1154
Description LANCASHIRE: Rochdale, Union Street Chapel (Wesleyan): Births & Baptisms
Record set England & Wales Non-conformist births and baptisms

Kath. x

Sunlight

Sunlight Report 8 Jan 2017 11:34

Thankyou to Anninglos.Yes I will try that then.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Jan 2017 11:36

There is this marriage on the IGI which could be the parent's marriage for the baptism above, although the spelling on the surname is slightly different:-

James Fetton
View Tree
Marriage
28 June 1795
Rochdale,Lancashire,England
Sources1
MARRIAGES (1)
Spouse
Ann Ashworth
Marriage
28 June 1795
Rochdale,Lancashire,England

Kath. x

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 8 Jan 2017 11:38

Welcome to GR.

Look to the left of this page under Boards and you will see Find Ancestors, that's where to ask these questions. This board is for general chat. The people who help others do research look on the Find Ancestors board not on here.

In 1804 there weren't any birth certificates, they started in July 1837. Hopefully a baptism can be found naming the parents.

Happy Hunting.

:-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Jan 2017 11:45

What makes you think he was born in Salford? Have you found him in any census?

Kath. x

Sunlight

Sunlight Report 8 Jan 2017 11:48

Thankyou so much for that Kath.Georges surname was spelt with an O though not an E, Fitton, and on his birth certificate it def says that he was born in Salford Lancs, so I will try his babtism records like u suggested.Thanks again.x

Sunlight

Sunlight Report 8 Jan 2017 11:52

Yes Yes I found him in the census.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Jan 2017 11:53

Can you tell us which census you found him in and where he was living at the time?

By the way, I have replied to your private message (click on messages near the top of the screen to find my reply).

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Jan 2017 12:13

As PatinCyprus says, he wouldn't have a birth certificate. Are you sure you aren't confusing it with a baptism certificate??

Most of the records we post here are transcriptions. Errors occur. One of my lines is Banner. Its been transcibed both as Bonner & Bannor with a number of other variations.

Unless the George's parents were literate, they wouldn't know if their surname had been written incorrectly on the original document. Slightly unusual names would have been written phonetically.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 8 Jan 2017 12:39

Margaret/Sunlight has followed the advice given earlier here, and opened a thread on 'Find Ancestors'

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1364125