General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oh dear, what do I say?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nyx

Nyx Report 5 Oct 2017 12:28

Now either the lady who does the shopping for her has stolen money from friend's handbag or she has misplaced it herself..but the latter seems a bit unlikely as it was in an envelope, inside the handbag, which is now empty.

there's no proof, only opportunity, but over a £100 is a substantial amount. :-(

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 5 Oct 2017 12:35

Do you know the lady Nyx?

Nyx

Nyx Report 5 Oct 2017 12:40

No Mel, my elderly friend lives a long way away, and as she is housebound she has her shopping done for her , usually it is this one lady who does it and she came this week as usual but because the gardener was being paid at the door, shopping lady was left alone in front room with the handbag. No one else has been in the house :-(

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 5 Oct 2017 12:42

I have pm'd you Nyx.

Sounds like she's the culpret then for sure. She would have got the money out of the envelope to pay the gardener.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 5 Oct 2017 12:43

Can she have the handbag fingerprinted?? Thats a lot of money to lose for someone housebound who has to rely on others help.

Nyx

Nyx Report 5 Oct 2017 12:51

that's is a good thought re fingerprints Mel, thanks I will suggest it.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 5 Oct 2017 12:54

Good I hope they catch her the nasty piece of work.................

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Oct 2017 14:34

It leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. £100 is a lot to take in one go. A regular thief is more likely to take £10 or £20 which could be more easily explained away to the friend as her poor memory.

Sister in law sacked her parents cleaner. To our knowledge 2 pairs of earrings, 1 pair of cuff links and a seed pearl necklace have disappeared. There’s also the suspicion that a Blue Badge might have walked out the door as well. Unfortunately they are so nervous of being taken advantage of that they tend to hide valuables then forget where the things were put.

Rather than letting AgeUK know the real reason, she told them the parents couldn’t afford a cleaner. They deal with the elderly all the time; if she’d explained the suspicions v forgetfulness they could have looked back at the cleaners records to see if something might previously occurred.

One lost opportunity. :-(

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 5 Oct 2017 14:47

Nyx, your friend didn't have the envelope in her hand to pay the gardener from, did she?

If so, she may have put it somewhere else. I do hope so because she'll never be able to trust the shopper again and may as well get a new one.

Nyx

Nyx Report 5 Oct 2017 15:56

JoyLouise I will check with her again, though I think not.

She's checked in all the places it could have dropped...down the chair which the handbag was by etc.

She was already in a bit of a state as she'd phoned the office where the shopper comes from to ask for her not to come while the gardener was there as it is on a very busy road so 2 cars trying to get into the drive could be a problem, but as the gardener came late it didn't work out. As she hates waiting for people, and hates it even more when two turn up together, she'd got herself in a fluster even before that.

Nyx

Nyx Report 5 Oct 2017 16:00

+++DetEcTive+++ sorry to hear about your SIL's parents having problems. I do understand their reluctance to report it. My friend feels almost worse that she is suspecting this person who has been going there for several years, than she does over the loss of the money.