General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wee bit surreal

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Oct 2017 12:01

I'm e-mailing my ex's current wife, as she works for a solicitor, and one of them is advising me on 'mates rates'.

E-mailing your ex's wife is pretty weird, I know (I suppose attending their wedding was strange), but I've never gone back to my maiden name, and we're both called Maggie :-S :-S

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Oct 2017 12:29

But it's good if you can all be civil to each other .makes life easier :-)

Annx

Annx Report 16 Oct 2017 12:34

I remember a friend who said when her dad had died, her ex's mother turned up unexpectedly at the funeral ! She hadn't seen her for years since the split from her ex so it was quite a shock and a bit awkward.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Oct 2017 13:13

True, Shirley, and Maggie is his third wife :-S
I was number one!

Relation - wise, ex only has a brother and nephew (and 3 great nieces by his nephew) but they live in Australia.
Ex's only children are our two children, and we have 5 grandchildren.
He drove from Dorset to Hampshire every other Friday, without fail, to take the girls, bringing them back on the Sunday, and the girls regard the sons of wife number 2 as their brothers.
He was also the best friend of my sister's late husband.

Ann, at their wedding, an old friend of Maggie's was there.
She was chatting to my sister, sister in law and daughter, in the kitchen.
I walked in, and she asked me who I was - I said wife number 1.
The look on her face was priceless!! :-D :-D :-D

My sister explained about her husband and my ex being best friends.
Maggie's friend asked if he was here. 'Yes', said my sister in law, 'He's buried in the trees over there' :-D

...at this point, my 14year old grand daughter (who fortunately, only I could see) was desperately trying to stifle her laughter. :-D :-D :-D

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 16 Oct 2017 15:15

Our nephew has been married with kids, divorced and remarried.

Both wives also have the same first name.,right down to the spelling
He does not get along with his ex wife!
Neither ex nor current wife like each other.

The ex-wife also remarried but did not change her last name .
She did not revert to her maiden name and refuses to take her new husband's last name.
She insists on having the same,( double barrelled) surname as her children.

Still very friendly with wider family members (but not her ex husband), ex wife is still invited to all major family occasions.
The last 2 weddings were "awkward." to say the least!

We call them Xx1 and Xx2

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Oct 2017 15:37

Our daughter is still in touch with her first hubby and the woman he left her for

Was fraught for a few years when their son was playing up and the new wife would insist on being with him when he tried to talk to his son and put her twopence in as if it was her business

All water under the bridge now but I have problems with her kids all with different fathers who call him dad and use his surname
I feel for his two natural children who are well down the pack and have tried to get their dad to acknowledge them and differentiate them from his step kids

Incidentally although go they did marry they divorced too and he has married again and she is on husband no4

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 16 Oct 2017 19:41

I danced a jig when a bloke took my first wife off my hands!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Oct 2017 19:47

.so did my ex's second wife's husband! :-D :-D :-D