General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What a nice address

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 20 Oct 2017 16:13

Barley Mow Lane,
Cottage

(Cottage rebuilding)********************

I have never seen this before on a census.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Oct 2017 23:14

It is! :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Oct 2017 00:38

I was born at The Sheepwash, Ham Road.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Oct 2017 01:09

That's lovely:-D

I was born at Southlands hospital, Shoreham.
Unfortunately, it stopped being a maternity unit, or two of my grandchildren would have been born there! :-D :-D

Not bad after 28 moves - and my youngest goes back to nearly where her mummy was born :-D

.....bit weird, really :-S

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 21 Oct 2017 11:44

Yes strange things happen in life.

When I was young we had a caravan st St Osyth. On the way down we went round the Army and Navy roundabout and past that was a signpost to a place called Inwardleigh. I always looked at this signpost and the Tiptree jam factory.

Many years later (over 50) I did my family tree and my ancestors came from Inwardleigh!! and some of them worked at the Jam Factory.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Oct 2017 12:18

My sister, though living in Southampton, bought her first house in Blundeston, Suffolk - her husband had got a job there.
At about the same time, ex and I were in Dumfries and Galloway, and he got a job in Blackmore End, Essex.
When we visited, there were 3 different ways to get there - we went on the A12, and passed a village called Yoxford.
Since doing the family tree, I've found out that my gg grandparents lived there, we actually passed their cottage,and just down the road was Middleton Moor - where my ancestors had lived for generations!

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 21 Oct 2017 15:57

Maggie thats interesting because when I moved to Suffolk in the early 80's and then down to devon in the 90's I found I had rellies in Suffolk just up the road to where I lived and of course I have had loads of rellies down here is Devon and even have a cottage down here called H********'s Cottage and I have a picture of it but have never been there. Perhaps I should before its too late. :-0

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 21 Oct 2017 15:59

Be that a kilt your granfather is wearing on your avatar Maggie?

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 21 Oct 2017 16:01

Sharron one of the next villages to us is called Sheepwash.