General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

NETs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 21 Oct 2017 10:56

NETs or Neuroendocrine tumours are a little known type of cancer. Most commonly found in the lung or gastrointestinal system it can also be found in pancreas, ovaries or testes.

NETs can be slow growing or aggressive and can in some cases be cured by surgery. In cases where it can't be cured the tumours can usually be shrunk to give sufferers relief from symptoms.

My Mother in law falls into the second category. It has resulted in part of her stomach being removed in what ended as a failed attempt to cure it and trips to the hospital every 6-12 months depending on what the tumours are like at the previous check to shrink them. This has been ongoing for 10 years and could go on for another 20 years plus as long as the tumours keep responding to treatment.

NETs day is November 10th.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Oct 2017 11:13

Twenty years ago a close friend suffered from this. The surgeons removed his testes. The poor man endured quite a lot of ribbing at work and he gave up on sports apart from sailing. It was all to no avail.

I hope that modern treatments work a lot better.

Tawny

Tawny Report 21 Oct 2017 11:51

I'm sorry that treatment didn't work for your friend Rollo.

My mother in law had part of her stomach and liver removed but this proved unsuccessful in removing the tumours. Mil is however for now responding to the treatment to shrink them.