General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Aberfan 21st October 1966

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 21 Oct 2017 11:07

Never forgotten, not just here in Wales but all over the World.

Sue

Von

Von Report 21 Oct 2017 11:42

Thinking of all those involved <3 <3 <3

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 21 Oct 2017 12:07

Remember it was a Friday as I got off early from work on Fridays. Walked into town to do some shopping but saw the placards outside WH Smiths and went home. Dreadful shock.

<3

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Oct 2017 12:16

A completely avoidable tragedy with all the usual attempts at cover up and passing the buck. Nothing much has changed in that respect. We have seen the greening of the valleys and the end of deep mining.

I doubt anybody who was a young adult at the time will have forgotten the shock and sadness.

. <3

kandj

kandj Report 21 Oct 2017 15:13

I remember this date and also the dates of the death of President Kennedy and Diana, Princess of Wales. I remember how I found out and where I was at the time. So sad.

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Oct 2017 15:41

Tony Blair, for all the faults he may or may not have had, was the prime minister who led the government that ended the requirement for. wait for it. Aberfan to pay to have those waste heaps cleared.

Yes, they had had had to pay to have the heaps that killed their children removed.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Oct 2017 17:16

The £ 150000 taken from the memorial fund for tip clearance was repaid by Blair's govt in 1997. The Welsh govt added £ 1.5 million to the fund.

Mersey

Mersey Report 21 Oct 2017 18:15

<3 <3 <3

This is a time to reflect and remember just like SuperCrutch posted.....

Lost lives .....not about money....there is no pockets in shrouds

<3 <3 <3

Rambling

Rambling Report 21 Oct 2017 19:06

True it isn't about money, but I'd liken it to some extent to the treatment of Hillsborough victim's families, and the sheer length of time it took for some justice. Making the victims' families 'pay' over again for their own tragedy, as it were.

I was 9 when Aberfan happened, I remember coming home from school and my mother crying at the evening news. I'd only seen her cry once before, when Kennedy died.

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Oct 2017 20:15

It should never, ever have been about money.

What could be more appalling than this?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Oct 2017 20:36

Money is the root of most evils. The Aberfan spoil tips greatly exceeded authorised height plus they were built over springs and wells. This was illegal. Various parties complained citing the risk to the school. However the NCB and the NUM colluded to do nothing fearing that the cost of removing the spoil tips would result in closure of the mine and loss of jobs. After days of heavy rain the inevitable happened. In the aftermath nobody was accused of wrong doing. It was the NUM which proposed using fund money to clear the tips. Many of the Aberfan population were badly traumatised by events some still suffering today. The funds have been very important in helping both victims and the community.

Fine words butter no parsnips.
<3