General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

One Name Study

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 22 Oct 2017 12:43

I am writing this post in the hopes that someone may be able to offer some advice/support. I have for quite a while now been unable to find the parents of my 4x great grandfather and have been considering the above. I realise by undertaking such a study it would involve a tremendous amount of work but hopefully would produce results to enable me to continue my search. Thanks

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Oct 2017 12:49

Hi Mark,

Don't forget to try Google first, not all studies of a surname are done via the official site, for instance I have found fairly exhaustive studies of part of my family that were based on one county...so you might for example google "Appleyard family, Oxfordshire" ( try different variations of the names and places) and find someone has done research on the parish registers etc.

If you want to post some details I will have a look?

When I get time I think i will try a one name study on one branch of my family, just to see if I can finally tie up the ones in London with others of the surname in Wiltshire ...and find the missing link! :-D