General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Midnight

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Nov 2017 00:04

My granny died on October 31st 2003.
She always was a contrary lady!! :-D :-D :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 1 Nov 2017 00:41

It was o.h.'s granddaughter's 7th birthday today. We haven't seen her for months, she's in Essex, and it looks as tho o.h.'s son is jumping ship. Things have been difficult for a while now and he's chosen to work away as much as possible these past months. O.h. is livid with him.

Lixx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Nov 2017 10:35

That's such a shame, Liz.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 1 Nov 2017 23:13

Sorry I hijacked your thread, Maggie

I am sad for d.i.l and the children, she has worked very hard to hold everything together while he advanced in his job and worked away a lot but for the last year or so he's been telling her he doesn't love her anymore. He says there is no one else involved but won't talk to anyone.

It's going to be hard to stay in touch with the youngsters as they are 85 miles away. They have just downsized the house ' to ease the financial pressures' but also I think because she knew she would probably have to manage alone and a smaller house would be easier to cope with. She works three days week in a hectic job.

The other son in N.Y. got married a few weeks ago but didn't let his father know. O.h.'s exwife and new husband were there so o.h. is very hurt and angry about that. There are two little grandaughters there that he's never met and probably won't as he won't fly and his son doesn't have the money to come over atm. With o.h.'s possible dementia being investigated, he might not be in a fit state to meet them later on.

I am lucky my son seems to be plodding on well with his job and his fiancee and her lad (and Jeremy the Devon Rex kitten). All I want now is a grandchild there and I will be satisfied lol

Lizxx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Nov 2017 23:42

It's difficult, isn't it?
My eldest's ex is a pain - as are his parents, but as they've both retired, and daughter has a demanding job, the grandsons are sometimes picked up from school by them. Fortunately, their older sister can 'babysit' now, so their contact has slowed down.
I quite often have them on a Saturday. Apparently, they are quite relieved to stay here - they can 'relax'. We do all the 'bad' things - I let them play with a dolls house - which they love (boys live in houses too, don't they?), play games on my PC (much better than a laptop or tablet, apparently!), and draw, and draw, and draw.

Daughter's ex's mother once questioned my daughter about the suitability of her eldest (when he was 3) having a doll's pushchair with a teddy in it! Daughter pointed out, he was copying his father - pushing the younger grandson in his pushchair!!
Eldest grandson, now 9, is a vegetarian. His father (a chef) tried to bribe him 'out of it'.
So, he's not useless as a chef, so why he can't do quick veggie meals?
Or is it that he can't be bothered? Or it doesn't fit in with his 'ideas' (like his mother)
I'm not the greatest cook, but veg sausages aren't too difficult!

I hope you get your grandchild soon, Liz <3

It's great fun when they become teenagers (the boys' sister is 15) their mother's suffer the teenage 'angst' - all I 'suffer' is utter cuteness, politeness and cups of tea! - but she does have to put up with me asking her how she's treating her mum!!

*Teenage alert - granny knows what an unbearable so and so you MAY be at home - I know how your mum was!!*