General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

'Fake News'

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2017 22:31

...has become the 'phrase of the year'!! :-S :-S :-S :-S

..thoughts, please :-D :-D :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Nov 2017 23:00

I am absolutely fed up with it lol, not just the expression but all the **** that circulates round online and in the media that is fed back to me as facts.

I would as soon believe that "Jessica" ( who keeps asking me if I am 'my email name' which she has just sent a message to, duh ) is a real person who wants to catch up on old times ;-)

But more than my annoyance at the expression 'fake news' is my blind hatred of the rise of the " Haitch " for H ( adverts and now sometimes even the news , aaaargggh !) .

and breathe.......... :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2017 23:01

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Bet you're glad you got that off your chest!! :-D

#fakeneswsisfake# :-D :-D :-D :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Nov 2017 23:04

lol yes thanks :-)

Allan

Allan Report 2 Nov 2017 23:28

Rose, I definitely agree with the 'Haitch' peeve which is prevalent in Australia, particularly by Newsreaders who think that they are displaying a great command of the Queen's English.

News programmes also use an inordinate number of American expressions such as heist which, when I hear them, make me cringe :-| :-| :-D :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 3 Nov 2017 07:12

Sir John Cheek (1514-1557) was an English classical scholar who wrote: 'I am of this opinion that our own tung should be written cleane, unmixt and unmangeled with borrowing of other tunges; wherein if we take not heed by tiim, ever borrowing and never paying, she shall be fain to keep her house as bankrupt'.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Nov 2017 19:01

When I hear the word 'heist', I always imagine the Queen ordering someone to 'heist their trousers up'

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Nov 2017 20:04

I am actually fed up with the stupid idiots who get some sort of pleasure out of concocting fake news. As we have been so used to reading information on line which until fairly recently has been accurate and able to be believed it is no wonder that people, intelligent people, automatically do what they have alwaydps done and believe it and share it.

But what do people gain from writing these things?

Rambling

Rambling Report 3 Nov 2017 20:26

" Take everything with a pinch of salt" lol ...

this came up in a conversation I had with someone who'd watched the recent programme about Prince Harry and his girlfriend... something about their "secret engagement" and what the Queen would or wouldn't do re attending their marriage...

It reminds me of when the lady I was cleaning for informed me that she knew about my past as an exotic dancer LOLOL :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 4 Nov 2017 07:46

We will never run short of lies to tell. Truth is one thing for which there is no known alternative.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 4 Nov 2017 09:07

I'm usually against violence but for people saying haitch I make an exception.

Idris Elba is dead to me now.