General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It is November....................

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 8 Nov 2017 09:33

right? The 8th, November? Not 8th December?

So forgive me, why are we being bombarded with Christmas adverts?

To my calculations, there is about 6 weeks to Christmas? Give or take.

I don't want to see dancing carrots, snow lined streets, turkeys being cooked, or bears climbing over rooftops.

I don't mind the first week of December, but not now.

Beside, I've got my birthday first, that is more important...........to me!

:-D :-D :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 8 Nov 2017 09:39

Hiya Twiddley :-D <3 wait till you see the new John Lewis advert will make you blub...its a a Fox and mouse, just saying :-D :-D ;-)

Edit oops wrong one lol soz

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 8 Nov 2017 09:40

Yes I know.................but seriously, its too soon!

Hello Twiddeley by the way!

Mersey

Mersey Report 8 Nov 2017 09:41

We're Walking in the airrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :-D :-D :-D :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 8 Nov 2017 09:43

Turkeys dislike Christmas!

But a nicely cooked turkey is often given posthumous praise.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 8 Nov 2017 09:43

Shuuuuuurrrrrrup!

I will sing along with the rest of them, and even though I say so myself, I have a beautiful voice. Church choir doncha know.

But not now, not yet!!

;-) ;-) ;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Nov 2017 09:44

For those of us who have to buy and get presents delivered before the end of November MTG it is not too soon. sorry, but when family live away from where we are things have to be planned early. we have stuff to get to Cumbria, Bucks and Hants. If we don't want to rely on the post we have to hand deliver them, or they have to collect.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 8 Nov 2017 10:56

I agree Ann, and I do the same myself for family in far flung places.

Its just the irritating cosy family around the open fire, opening their presents, smug adverts that gets my goat.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 8 Nov 2017 11:14

Since the end of ww2 London has marked the Christmas season from the raising of the Norway Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square. This is usually (weather permitting) the first Thursday in December which seems about right.

Retail stores are finding life tough and cannot wait for that bad taste or not. That is why they have copied the USA "Black Friday" November 24 sales.

Expect to see a lot of store closures in 2018. Several food chains are in the mixer too.

One fine day we will see fireworks, pumpkins, mince pies and Easter eggs all on sale at once. Maybe somewhere that is already true.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Nov 2017 11:29

Whilst agreeing that many of us will start gift shopping in November or earlier, we don’t need adverts shoved in our faces. The last week in November is early enough.

The Story adverts might promote the feel-good factor; I’d rather be shown what particular retailers are selling. I’m more likely to go into M&S to look at advertised clothes or food than because their Paddington Bear has foiled a burglar. :-S

Kay????

Kay???? Report 8 Nov 2017 11:38

At the end of October !! having a look in Harrods they had their christmas instore displays being set up and were open to orders of many products,,,,,,,,,,!! and lots of shops had a small smattering of shine placed next to an idea item..

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Nov 2017 11:55

Harrods is a slightly different kettle of fish. It’s a prominent London tourist attraction with high-end prices.

However, they haven’t started advertising on UK TV!

Nyx

Nyx Report 8 Nov 2017 14:34

Advertising in December is too late for the retail trade, The last two weeks of November were often busier than the last week before Christmas... a good ad is what gets shoppers into gear :-)

I prefer the 'Feel good' ads ...because they concentrate on Christmas being a cosy family time, as opposed to the 'Here's the new toy, your child must have it ' variety ;-) Not that my Christmas has resembled anything like most of the scenarios shown for decades ( which is perhaps why I like those ads and mushy films?)

I always remember phoning a relative who was having a family Christmas, children , inlaws etc and having fondly imagined it would be something like the Waltons, perhaps playing charades or similar, being disillusioned by them all being in separate rooms, doing their own thing lol.

SheilaWestWilts

SheilaWestWilts Report 8 Nov 2017 14:41

I feel physically sick at the thought of Christmas - the last 2 have been ghastly and this one likely to be too - unless I can wangle something to get out of it :-(

Dermot

Dermot Report 8 Nov 2017 15:06

Even worse this year in or near the House of Commons because of the potential consequences of alcohol-fueled flirtation crossing the imaginary line of aggression. :-|

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Nov 2017 15:29

Sheila, so sorry you feel that way. <3

Nyx’s relative had hit the nail on the head. Adverts bombard us with expectations for the ‘Perfect Christmas’ and life’s just not like that.

Bah humbug!

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 8 Nov 2017 15:29

From personal experience Nyx I know the Christmas stock (non perishable) comes into stores in August! Easter eggs, the last week in December, etc.

I am not anti-Christmas at all, I love it. I loved it all the more when the rug-rats came to jump on our bed to wake us up at 4am!! :-P :-P

I just don't want to see snow filled streets at the start of November!

Oh hang on.................it cant be Christmas yet, we have not had the Holidays Are Coming song from the coke people

Nyx

Nyx Report 8 Nov 2017 16:00

You're describing the shop up the road MotownGal lol, barely was the last of the barbecue gear gone than the Christmas choc' was out, and Easter eggs will be there by New Year... Hot cross buns are now all year round fare :-)

Sheila I do hope that your Christmas will be better than you expect.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 8 Nov 2017 16:45

The ads are made and space/time slots bought months beforehand.
Many a commercial director has missed his bonus or worse by guessing wrong or made a mint out of getting it right. This year's market research says price/value top want but the agencies have given warm buzzy bonhommie top billing.

Somebody has brought in mince pies crumbles everywhere.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 8 Nov 2017 17:50

I know all about the marketing strategy Rollo. I used to go the Christmas Fayres in June to choose my stock.

Nothing stranger than coming in from the sunshine to be in a Winter Wonderland.