General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It is November....................

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 19 Nov 2017 18:20

Not my delivery man!

:-D :-D :-D

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 19 Nov 2017 15:50

Tsk!

If it is not difficullt enough to choose and order a present to go in the Christmas stocking......

It seems we now have to grab the delivery man and stick him in the stocking too!

I am gonna need bigger stockings.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Nov 2017 12:54

Those of us who lived on the Borders,near Ecclefechan, who spoke in the local dialect, pronounced it Eck-el-feck-han.

It's original name, in Scottish Gaelic was Eaglais Fheichein no 'u' around even in those days.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 19 Nov 2017 12:18

I had never heard of Ecclefechan tarts to be honest. But I must have seen them. They are made by, amongst others, Walkers. As Det says, they are advertised as being sold in Sainsburys. Not mine, unfortunately.

Saw the coke ad on Friday.

It must be Christmas.
:-D :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Nov 2017 11:06

Sainsbury’s sell Ecclefechan tarts, but don’t always have them in stock. :-0 :-(

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Nov 2017 10:30

Ecclefechan tarts are wonderful better than mince pies.
One of my GGF was from Galloway and we still have hand written recipes his mum sent after he was stationed in Dublin. My mother always baked them no chance this year. OH will have to try.
A rellie used to run a hotel / pub in Portpatrick and always had these delicacies at Christmas. Best washed down with wee heavy tho some prefer strong tea.

for those wondering the name of the village, nr Lockerbie, is pronounced Ekle-fuk-an with a Scots/Cumbria accent for full enjoyment.
:-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Nov 2017 23:57

JoyLouise - I must now find some Ecclefechan tarts.
Not because I may like them - I've probably eaten them, as I used to live down the road from Ecclefechan, (at Kirkpatrick Fleming) and sniggered when the bus went by, declaring Ecclefechan as it's destination, but the name sums up how I feel about Christmas!! :-D :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Nov 2017 17:01

Oh I dunno ... back in the day, say 18 November 1956, they didn't hang about getting their Christmas songs into the charts. Imagine 2 months of this at no.1 for instance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dz9RcmNLFk

or this a few years later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ozoaBftyjI

An entry in my father's police diary shows the whole Salvation Army Band being arrested for public order offence (playing carols) at 9am 17 November 1957 ... he had been on night shift.

while I have a photo of one of the family butcher shops dressed up for Christmas (open front as they were then) back in November 1925!

Barbra

Barbra Report 17 Nov 2017 16:40

It seems to be out of control Christmas sorry I am not a misery I love life .Sheila its a shame as we get older things change so much xx ..I have always lived my life to the full knock backs & operations over the last twelve months have made me count my blessings .there doesn't seem to a limit now spend spend & never mind the debt next year will pay the cards off :-)

SheilaWestWilts

SheilaWestWilts Report 17 Nov 2017 15:52

I think that sums up how I feel Barbra, plus having to cope with family problems too!

Dermot

Dermot Report 17 Nov 2017 14:30

'The human imagination breaks free at Christmas, urged on by the desire to see the world as it isn't'. (Irish Independent).

Barbra

Barbra Report 17 Nov 2017 14:18

My SIL goes to the sales in January for next Christmas Presents .mind you she has 24 to buy for to me Christmas is About Children & familys but now its just the sheer greed of wanting expensive things .& spending on so much food half of which will be thrown .I use to love the season of Goodwill & all the trimmings as a young person .but now sorry its just to much .the pressure on Parents Grandparents to buy the right thing .were is the joy in that .love the trees & lights .but not the hustle & bustle & worried faces .get back to the true meaning of the season .never going to happen is it Barbara

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 17 Nov 2017 14:15

Does the Waitrose Christmas ad feature the Tan Hill pub, supposedly the highest in England? I have a feeling I walked in on it showing the other night.

FWIW, I much prefer Ecclefechan tarts rather than mince ones.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Nov 2017 13:35

I have always hated Christmas razamataz at work. As no.1 I had the mistaken idea I could ban most of it especially as half the staff were muslim, buddhist, sikh, hindi and the Christians evangelicals. Not a bit of it they are all party animals and love it all. They did agree not to play carols and jingles in the office so I should be grateful I guess.

I do like real mince pies. OH has learned how to make them but being French she gives them a good wack of cognac.

Dermot

Dermot Report 17 Nov 2017 13:22

Agreed. Those naff jingles do little for me other than raising my intolerance & BP.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Nov 2017 13:14

The First Sunday in Advent this year is 3 Dec. Ban all in store jingles before then!

Dermot

Dermot Report 17 Nov 2017 13:08

Mince pies tasted lovely yesterday.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 17 Nov 2017 13:06

Kevin the carrot has a new advert.

Plus M & S have flung money at their new one for food. Makes me feel hungry just watching it.

Yet again....................that is the point!!

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 14 Nov 2017 15:23

Yummy! :-P :-P :-P

I could not think of anything I would dislike more.

Where is the coke advert? It aint Christmas til that appears.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Nov 2017 04:02

Advent calendars have been on sale for months, locally.

Surely this one must be one of the worst...?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/greggs-is-launching-an-advent-calendar-for-the-sausage-roll-fan-in-your-life_uk_5a09602ee4b01d21c83f8b8f