General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

You know how one thing leads to another?...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Nov 2017 15:40

Well, sorting out granny's letters, I decided to find all the 1940 ones related to/sent after the Southampton 'Blitz' of that year, the ones immediately before, and the ones after, to see (by the addresses) when Gran moved out of her house.

This led me to the rather grubby brass shell case, that holds my poker - that has held a poker since I can remember.
...then to the black fuze on the windowsill upstairs (It's always been black).
I thought it would be a good idea to clean them.

My living room currently smells like a chip shop :-(

Various websites suggested Bicarbonate of Soda or salt and lemon juice for cleaning them
I have no lemon juice, so used vinegar.

Well, the shell case is from HMS indomitable 1952
The fuze is a Time and percussion fuse No.85 from 1916 - and both look lovely now they're 'brass' coloured! :-D :-D :-D

..just realised - that was probably 100 years of dirt I removed from the fuze :-S

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Nov 2017 20:23

I wish we had a like button Maggie. Bet they look great.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Nov 2017 22:01

Thank you, Ann - I'll do anything to avoid washing the kitchen floor!! :-D

It says to give them a thin coating of linseed oil.
Well, I haven't got any, but WD40 seems to do a pretty good job :-D :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 8 Nov 2017 23:42

How lovely to have such gleaming mementos, Maggie

Lizxx

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 9 Nov 2017 19:29

I hope the fuse is not live.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Nov 2017 21:02

So do I, Bob :-S

I did ask the bloke who came around the other day - he said it looked like it was 'dead'

Actually, the top is a bit skew-whiff. and it has a few lacerations, so it looks like it has gone off. The black stuff was pretty thick too