General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Its that time of year again

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ann

ann Report 18 Nov 2017 22:33

The weather is now getting colder and it looks like we might have a bad winter. Can we think of all our street homeless people. No one should have to live like this. If you can spare anything for these people, please donate. You can find out from your local councils where you can help

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 19 Nov 2017 01:13

Earlier this year I spotted some hats and gloves for sale in B & M, reduced to 10p per item. I grabbed £1 worth and will have them with me to pass on to homeless people when I can.

I also get huge clear plastic sacks from o.h.'s works and hand them out, they are very strong and can be used to lie on, in, or hold belongings away from the damp.

Very little helps

Lizxx

Dermot

Dermot Report 19 Nov 2017 07:51

All year round, men & women sleep rough in squats, tents, parks & under flimsy sleeping bags in shop doorways or beneath motorway flyovers - all unimaginable spaces in London & many other areas beside.

Government embarrassed? It is a moot point whether there has ever been a worse government than the present one. There is more to life than worrying about Brexit. The one cure for the Tory disease of carelessness towards our own is a fresh period in opposition, which is one thing they have clearly earned.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Nov 2017 14:11

The "welfare state" justfies the extreme proportions of tax ( of one kind and another) that it exacts from people during their working lives on the basis that when they are not earning they will be looked after.

Although the last Labour government pretty well brought rough sleeping to an end this harbinger of doom is once more on the warpath. The rough sleepers are just the tip of the iceberg. There are hundreds of thousands of people and families on the edge, living in squalid accommodation, B&B, overpriced B2L waiting for the bailiff's knock. Dishing out free gloves and sheeting to rough sleepers far from being kind just suggests little understanding of the problem which is 90% down to deliberate government policy. As Dermot remarks the Tories are taking us back to the world before the Great War. "A Land fit for heroes" rang false then and still does. ex service men suffer many problems including homelessness.

If you really want to help there are several established charities. By using a bank transfer the charity gets a boost from the taxman. Pounds not pennies.

As landlords we quite often have property in east London temporarily empty and whenever possible we use it for emergency / short term accomodation inc rough sleepers though the legal obstacles are head banging. For instance as a trust the Charity Commissioners demand that we maximise the rents for the benefit of the trust beneficiaries. However the trust was set up to provide affordable housing! If we wind up the trust then most of the property will end up in the ownership of the new renting monsters / foreigners / off shore and even more Londoners will be priced out of their own city some for sure joining the homeless.

Despite Thersa May's fine way with platitudes there is little real prospect of improvement without a radical new approach. To be fair to the Tories Sajid Javid undrestands well enough that current housing policy on its own will destroy any chance of the Tories winning a majority. Sadly his message is falling on deaf ears.

Margaret Thatcher's chickens coming home to roost.
Homelessness.
Wrecked relationships with Europe.
Wholly inadequate armed forces.
Disintegrating Health Service
Education under the wrecking ball.
etc etc

The Baby Boomers in their selfishness have a lot to answer for. They are likely to do the answering through a painful state grab of their beloved property regardless of which party is in power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVob4l5m4Ps

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 19 Nov 2017 15:25

Rollo,
Some or quite a few babyboomers don't own property and can't afford to buy.

bob

bob Report 19 Nov 2017 16:21

" The last Labour government pretty well brought rough sleeping to an end...." What planet is this bloke on? I think he may be Jeremy writing under a pseudonym.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Nov 2017 16:31

Sorry Bob but I have better things to do than consider your posts which are invariably in the form of short insults borrowed from the red top press. Do not despair though the Star reports a successful head transplant.

bob

bob Report 19 Nov 2017 16:46

It was a genuine question Jere... sorry, Rollo.

Caroline

Caroline Report 19 Nov 2017 17:20

Fairs fair...I don't have access to the stats so under Labour how many were homeless and how many are now and not party figures please but an independent source?

Don't forget there are a few who will never go into a shelter no matter what...drugs....booze....mental health etc

Nyx

Nyx Report 19 Nov 2017 17:29

https://crisis.org.uk/media/236823/homelessness_monitor_england_2017.pdf

Page 13 has a comparison for various categories of homelessness statistics for 2009/10 and 2015/16

A telling statement is this, which reflects the undisputed fact of an increase in evictions for various reasons ( including changes to how housing benefit is paid, and the introduction of Universal Credit )

"The vast bulk of the recorded increase in
statutory homelessness over the past six
years has been attributable to the sharply
rising numbers made homeless by the
termination of a private tenancy – these
have almost quadrupled from less than
5,000 acceptances per annum to almost
18,000. As a proportion of all statutory
homelessness acceptances, such cases
have consequentially risen from 11 per cent
in 2009/10 to 31 per cent by 2015/16.6
The
2016 local authority survey is instructive in
terms of the explanations for this trend. Most
commonly, respondents referred to growing
pressure on private rental markets, especially
in London and the South, linked with
welfare reforms which have exacerbated the
vulnerability of low income renters or which
have made landlords less inclined to let to
benefit recipient households (see
further below). "

Nyx

Nyx Report 19 Nov 2017 17:35

On a more personal level, homelessness is not 'just' about living on the streets, whether or not you have a choice, whether or not you have addictions or mental health issues.

A mother was shown with her teenage daughter a week or so ago on tv, being put up in what was a converted office block, one room, ( with bed or 2, not sure) a sink, a microwave and cables everywhere ( the sort of 'safety' standards that had they been in your home or mine would have had the child taken into care). They had been there , if I remember rightly, close to a year.

Nyx

Nyx Report 19 Nov 2017 17:39

Or to put it more simply, for those who don't or won't read long links, as regards actual numbers of rough sleepers.

"As of autumn 2016, there were an estimated 4,134 people a night sleeping rough on England's streets, more than double the number in 2010 and a 16% increase on the year before.
These are estimates based on local authorities either conducting a street count on a single night or making an estimation based on intelligence gathered from local services."

Nyx

Nyx Report 19 Nov 2017 17:42

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39745253

For examples of the definitions of 'Homeless' and a graph ;-)

"In 2016, local authorities in England accepted 59,260 households as being statutorily homeless and agreed to house them.
This means councils had decided those people or families did not have somewhere to live that they had a legal right to occupy, which is accessible and physically available to them and which it would be reasonable for them to continue to live in.
It's hard to say how much this figure overlaps with the number of rough sleepers recorded."

bob

bob Report 19 Nov 2017 19:29

The statistics still don't prove that the labour government brought rough sleeping to an end. The poor, like taxes, will always be with us.

Nyx

Nyx Report 19 Nov 2017 19:38

No it doesn't prove that Labour brought an end to homelessness, but it does prove that under the Conservatives the figures have increased ...a lot.

The poor may always be with us, doesn't mean that trying to limit the number who live in poverty shouldn't be worked at does it? It certainly doesn't mean that introducing measures that actually worsen the situation ( and even a dimwit can see that will be the result) should be tolerated...whatever party does it.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 19 Nov 2017 19:42

The main reason is that many are immigrants that have swollen the numbers and before you say it and shout me down I am not Racist just a realist. My daughter works with a street team so I know this to be the case

Nyx

Nyx Report 19 Nov 2017 19:48

LaGooner, it depends where you are surely? There are areas of the country with plenty of homeless who have hardly any immigrants at all.

EDIT or at least where the percentage of homeless, is less related to immigration as such and more to housing shortages/ work shortages/ ongoing levels of poverty.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 19 Nov 2017 19:49

My daughter is based in Liverpool on the city streets. I am in Bedfordshire and in the big towns here it is much the same

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 19 Nov 2017 20:08

Rollo, you can be so pompous, and patronisingly rude at times! I was trying to say we can try to do a little bit to help the homeless on site. I know it's a tiny drop in the ocean but not all of us have oodles of money to transfer to charities! I do what I can for the people I come across on the streets of Norwich, or elsewhere if I am visiting another town/city. I donate clothing to a friend who helps at a homeless shelter.

Nyx, I saw that programme, it was heartbreaking. There are many places where the police move rough sleepers on, and areas where they were relatively safe are blocked off to stop them returning. Safety is a major problem, one poor lad was murdered as he slept under a subway in Norwich a few years back.

I don't think I have seen any rough sleepers here in Norwich that aren't British

The way things are going, more and more people will end up on the streets through no fault of their own, lots due to this new Universal Credit. It's always a case of the rich get richer, the poor get poorer! Circumstances change in all walks of life but if you are cushioned by money you can recover more easily. Not everyone is that lucky!

Liz

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 19 Nov 2017 20:13

Hear hear Liz, I do not have a lot of cash to spare unlike some other folk I could name. But I knit hats gloves and scarves with donated wool and also go around with my daughter when I am up North. I buy hot drinks for those I can and also help give out hot food to them. The other thing that is also important is to talk to them <3