General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

accessing GR

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marktewk

Marktewk Report 22 Nov 2017 00:00

Do any other members get an error screen when trying to access GR?

I use Chrome.

I do not logout of GR

Sometimes I do not have a problem. At other times it can take many attempts to access GR.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Nov 2017 00:07

I'm having the same problem logging in and also when moving from one board to another. It happened a few weeks ago and then was resolved. It's now been happening again for the last 2 or 3 days.

Kath. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Nov 2017 00:27

If you get the error screen, click on the Genes Reunited logo, it will take you to your Home Page,

then click on Community, select the listing (eg Board Summary)

and you should then have few problems.

This is faster than keeping trying to enter your usual way

It seems to happen at certain times of the day for me (eg, in the middle of the UK night :-S )

BTW ......... it doesn't seem to matter what your use ...... I have Mozilla Firefox.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Nov 2017 06:32

Constantly getting the error page when trying to switch boards

I have cleared caches etc but it's still doing It

This is on a Apple iPad

Allan

Allan Report 22 Nov 2017 08:14

It happened to me just now when I went to post something. Clicked on the back button and then on my threads and there was the post! :-S

A couple of months ago this was a regular occurrence but then the problem seemed to have been resolved.

Good old GR, at least they are keeping up their standards, as low as they are :-D

Marktewk

Marktewk Report 23 Nov 2017 05:52

I'm having an e-mail conversation with "Eleanor" at GR Support. We've got past the "clear cache" and "which browser" stage. Last time this was occurring it was related to capacity on the GR servers and needed some persistence to find someone who knew how to fix. Empirically it seems to vary by time of day. :-D

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 Nov 2017 06:01

I hasn't been happening for a few years but the problem seems so have re-occurred a couple of months ago and has been on and off ever since.

Clearing cache etc may help if you haven't done so for a while but is only temporary and my moneys says it is a GR capacity issue once again.

Kense

Kense Report 23 Nov 2017 09:01

I had the error page yesterday morning, the first time for months if not a year or so. No problem after that

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Nov 2017 11:36

The response problems of GR have nothing at all to do with penny pinching. The problem is down to the many well known bugs in Microsoft IIS 7.0 Web Server. This server is designed for running corporate intranets and always creates headaches when used for public web servers. The issue is the huge response lag typical of many soho connections.

Within the DC Thompson Dundee empire "Bright Solid" are a far more important revenue stream than family history. BS (yes) are a 100% Microsoft house mostly doing corporate networking. When they have nothing else to do and if GR/FMP ask nicely they will look into their problems.

Here is a blog of using a popular (as in free ) tool to sort out IIS performance problems.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/docast/2016/04/28/troubleshooting-iis-request-performance-slowness-issues-using-freb-tracing/

So you see why GR/FMP support need a real techie from BS.

GR users will for sure endure less connection hassle with GR if their local connection is in good order. Not many public sites use IIS so GR may well be the only one you encounter.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Nov 2017 11:44

Strange it did seem to be fine for about a couple of weeks then, when the poppy disappeared off the top, the problem re-occurred. wonder if it was anything to do with the techies removing the poppy or is that too simplistic Rollo?

Kense

Kense Report 23 Nov 2017 16:20

The poppy went about a week before the latest problem started.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Nov 2017 18:15

The poppy is in a line or two of css code and cannot have any effect on performance.
If you know anybody handy with css you can customise yr GR changing the colors and putting something suitable into the poppy slot such as a skull.

Marktewk

Marktewk Report 15 Dec 2017 03:51

my internet connection is the fastest that Openreach can provide... my conversation with GR support stopped when I had answered all the normal support questions... based on some of the responses above I guess we're not going to see a resolution to this any time soon... glad I only pay the lowest subscription fee... does anybody pay the full £80 per annum subscription? :-S

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Dec 2017 05:01

Getting it this morning trying to access a different board

Can't be volume of traffic because it's early as you can see by my posting

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Dec 2017 12:57

This week in particular it has been a problem getting on in the morning, took me three tries this morning I am on Firefox and I don't log out. I think we are stuck with it now.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 Dec 2017 13:58

This is the company which does the grunt work for GR

http://www.sql-uk.com

who have the savvy to work out logon problems etc.
[email protected]