General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Interesting re Canadian history

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Dec 2017 17:05

Something I'd not heard about ( well I wasn't alive then!) but from the live broadcast on FMPs FB page

https://www.facebook.com/findmypast/videos/10154817868435938/?fref=mentions

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Dec 2017 19:25

ah yes ..........

it's ingrained over here.

an explosion larger than any seen before, and that led scientists to finally develop the H bomb.

One piece of wreckage, a gun barrel, ended up less than half a mile from where my daughter's first house was later built, and is mounted on a rock where it landed. I've seen it several times.

There are 2 cemeteries in Halifax devoted to tragedies .......... one to passengers from the Titanic and one to victims of this.

Interestingly, treating the survivors of the explosion led to great developments in ophthalmic surgery as so many victims got glass in their eyes ........... no-one knew that one of the vessels was a floating bomb because of it was carrying so much explosive materiel, so people were standing at windows watching or along the harbour front.

Another problem was that there was a huge snowstorm the next day, and many survivors were still buried in the wreckage of houses, shops, factories, etc.