General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Logging On

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 11 Dec 2017 14:11

I do not usually log off when I leave Genes, and enter next time via my favourites bar. I am one of those people who appears to have last logged in months ago! :-)

But - for the last few days I have been automatically logged out and have to log in again every time.

Has anyone else found this?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Dec 2017 14:13

I went through a phase of having to log on.
No idea what it was about - but all returned to 'normality' after a short while :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 11 Dec 2017 14:16

Good - I hope mine does too. :-)

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 11 Dec 2017 16:12

I never log out either but always have to log in next time .

It's a load of Blah blah,blah

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 11 Dec 2017 20:04

Two things need to happen if you want to sign in without entering your password every time.

Firstly on GR, when you log in, tick the box marked "Remember my password on this computer"

Secondly in your browser options, you also need to configure it to remember passwords for websites. In Firefox, which is my preferred browser, this can be found under Options, Privacy and Security, Forms and Passwords - "Remember logins and passwords for websites"

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 11 Dec 2017 22:06

IGP, I understand what you're saying, but why, when I haven't had to sign in before, has it suddenly decided that I must do so?

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 12 Dec 2017 07:48

Hi,

I'm the same as Andysmum never log out but yesterday had to log in and I dont use the Privacy and Security, Forms and Passwords - "Remember logins and passwords for websites" as there are sites I use where I do perfar to log in each time in case my laptop is stolen or used by someone else and dont what them going into some sites I use.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Dec 2017 16:31

Andysmum

it is a misconception that you never sign in, what is happening is that your browser signs in for you, giving the appearance that you have never signed out.

Nottsgirl

Check your browser for saved passwords. I think you will find that they are there for any sites that log you in automatically.

You need to consciously untick the box under Privacy and Security, Forms and Passwords - "Remember logins and passwords for websites" then no passwords will be saved and you will need to log in each and every site that requires one.

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 12 Dec 2017 18:01

Hi InspectorGreenPen,

Thank you I found it and it has a list of the automatic log ins and a list of the one's that are not automatic that I have to log into so have learned something new today.

NG